Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NagaWorld protestors told to stay clear of public roads

NagaWorld protestors told to stay clear of public roads

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Police officers block NagaWorld protestors at Sothearos Boulevard on June 20, 2022. SUPPLIED

NagaWorld protestors told to stay clear of public roads

The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration on June 27 again instructed current and former NagaWorld employees not to use public roads for demonstrations, citing public order and legal concerns.

This comes after reports that at least 10 people were injured earlier that day when security forces violently broke up a protest by workers involved in labour disputes with the integrated casino resort, which have lingered since mid-December.

The protesters argue that they are merely exercising their rights to push the company for mutually agreeable resolutions to the disputes.

The administration noted in a statement that more than 70 past and present employees “illegally” gathered in the protest on June 27, in the middle of Samdech Sothearos Boulevard, along the stretch from Aeon Mall 1 to the intersection with Preah Sihanouk Boulevard.

It remarked that unlike in prior strikes, demonstrators that day wore blue bandanas around their heads donning a usual slogan “Do not use money to buy rights”, in an act it accused was planned in advance by “a handful of people to cause trouble for the authorities”.

"They disrupted public order, leading to violence against the police, leaving some officials with mild injuries and resulting in the loss of five walkie-talkies and a watch," the statement said.

The administration said it has issued a number of statements banning the protesters from gathering in public spaces, advising them instead to obtain permits from municipal hall and move the demonstrations to Freedom Park in northeastern Phnom Penh’s Russey Keo district, following the procedures set out in the Law on Peaceful Demonstrations.

The statement stressed that the administration has also resorted to a variety of “educational measures” to prevent protesters from engaging in “further illegal activities”.

One of the protesters said on condition of anonymity that union rights in the workplace and resolution for “unfairly” terminated workers were among the strike’s demands.

"I will continue to strike until there there’s been a resolution because we Cambodians have the right to express ourselves. But why do we, as NagaWorld employees, have no right to express our opinions, even while on strike at NagaWorld, and worse still, authorities shut down our rights and accuse us of blocking public streets?" she said.

The Post could not reach Chhim Sithar, president of Labour Rights Supported Union of Khmer Employees of NagaWorld (LRSU), for comment on June 28.

However, a statement issued by the LRSU on the June 24 questioned rhetorically why the municipal hall was the one obstructing and threatening in a labour dispute between a company and its employees.

The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has hosted 14 meetings between NagaWorld and worker representatives to settle the months-long labour dispute, each ending in a stalemate, with both sides failing to reach a compromise.

The protesters are demanding that NagaWorld reinstate nearly 200 laid-off workers, who the company insists there is no longer need for.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ice cream, noodles flagged over carcinogen

    The General Department of Customs and Excise of Cambodia (GDCE) has identified three types of instant noodles and ice cream trademarks originating from Thailand, Vietnam and France that are suspected to contain ethylene oxide, which poses a cancer risk to consumers. The general department has

  • Angkor lifetime pass, special Siem Reap travel offers planned

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to introduce a convenient, single lifetime pass for foreign travellers to visit Angkor Archaeological Park and potentially other areas. The move is designed to stimulate tourism to the culturally rich province of Siem Reap as the start of the “Visit

  • Exclusive interview with Josep Borrell Fontelles, High Representative of the EU

    CAMBODIA is hosting the 55th ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (AMM) and Related Meetings this week with top officials from the US, China, and Russia and other countries in the region slated to attend and to meet with face-to-face with their counterparts on the sidelines. In

  • Rise in Thai air routes to Siem Reap fuels travel hopes

    Local tourism industry players are eager for regional airline Bangkok Airways Pcl’s resumption of direct flight services between the Thai capital and Siem Reap town on August 1 – home of Cambodia’s awe-inspiring Angkor Archaeological Park – which is expected to boost the growth rate of

  • ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ meet commences, Taiwan issue possibly on table

    The 55th ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (AMM) and related meetings hosted by Cambodia kicks off in Phnom Penh on August 3, with progress, challenges, and the way forward for the ASEAN Community-building on the table. Issues on Taiwan, sparked by the visit of US House Speaker

  • Recap of this year’s ASEAN FM meet and look ahead

    This year’s edition of the ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (AMM) hosted by Cambodia comes against the backdrop of heightened global tensions and increasing rivalry between major powers that have been compared to the animosity of the Cold War era. The following is The Post’