Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - National Police orders vigilance for New Year




National Police orders vigilance for New Year

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
National Police chief Neth Savoeun has urged officials to be vigilant in upholding public order over the New Year celebrations. Heng Chivoan

National Police orders vigilance for New Year

The National Police has ordered town and provincial officials to be vigilant in providing public safety, particularly regarding the activities of criminals, during the Lunar New Year festivities from Monday to Thursday.

An announcement, signed by National Police chief Neth Savoeun on Friday, urged heads of departments, units and municipal and provincial police stations to focus on key areas in upholding public order over the new year celebrations that are shared by Cambodia’s large Chinese, Vietnamese and Korean communities.

‘Vulnerable locations’

These include collecting information regarding security and public order and providing security measures at pagodas and Chinese, Vietnamese and Korean places of worship, and popular tourist sites. Extra vigilance to guard against crime and keep public order was urged.

Officials must also pay attention to the situation on the roads to reduce accidents and avoid traffic jams to ease the people’s travel.

Deputy National Police chief Sar Thet told The Post on Monday that though the police would be on alert over the Lunar New Year, the vast majority of people enjoyed the festivities peacefully.

However, he cautioned people to be careful when using firecrackers and other fireworks, which had caused accidents in the past.

“I think that over Chinese and Khmer New Years, everyone adheres to the traditions, so no one wishes to do harm. All people are happy to join in so New Year passes off happily and no one damages society,” he said.

Thet said that such security recommendations were carried out at every Lunar New Year and other festivals.

Fire office chief Prom Yorn said 48 fire engines and experts had been deployed to “vulnerable locations” across eight districts in Phnom Penh, such as Chbar Ampov and Tuol Kork, in order to deal with fires.

“Our trucks have been deployed to all vulnerable locations, such as in Tuol Kork, Por Sen Chey, Daun Penh, Chbar Ampov and Meanchey districts,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old