Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Nauru refugees fast-tracked, flight nixed: advocate

Nauru refugees fast-tracked, flight nixed: advocate

Nauru refugees fast-tracked, flight nixed: advocate

Australia has reportedly cancelled a planned flight intended to ferry the first batch of refugees from Nauru to Cambodia due to “logistical errors” after Cambodian officials on Sunday denied any refugees were expected in the Kingdom in the coming days.

Up to five asylum seekers in the Australian detention centre on the tiny island have accepted cash payments of thousands of dollars to have their refugee status determinations fast-tracked in order to be eligible to come to Cambodia, a refugee advocate said yesterday.

“There is only one I can confirm. But I am told that there could also be three Tamils and a Rohingya man.… One Iranian has definitely [taken the offer],” Ian Rintoul, spokesman for the Australia-based Refugee Action Coalition, said.

As Australian immigration officials had been unable to convince any refugees already living temporarily on Nauru to take up the offer of resettlement, the Abbott government had resorted to targeting those whose claims had not yet been approved, he added.

“If you’re inside the detention centre the prospect of a fast-track determination and a visa, even to Cambodia, would be quite appealing to some.”

Cambodian officials were due to arrive on Nauru yesterday to assess the reported applications. The visit was announced after a letter handed out by the Australians inviting refugees to head to Cambodia as early as yesterday caused “confusion” among Cambodian officials, who had not been briefed on the proposed arrivals.

A spokesperson for Australia’s immigration minister, Peter Dutton, did not respond to a request for comment yesterday, but he told the ABC that the first plane “won’t be far off”.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Koy Kuong referred questions about the Cambodian delegation’s planned visit to Nauru to Interior Ministry spokesman General Khieu Sopheak, who could not be reached for comment.

Hong Lim, a Cambodian-Australian member of Victoria’s state parliament who worked closely with refugees arriving in Australia from the Indochinese wars of the 1970s, said he was “ashamed as an Australian … ashamed as a Cambodian”.

“Australia has a proud history and tradition of welcoming more than a million postwar Jewish, Eastern European and Indo-Chinese refugees.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Hun Sen: Cambodia set to fully reopen

    Prime Minister Hun Sen concludes that the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, during which many people either flocked to their hometowns for family reunion or gathered at tourist attractions across the country, has not caused an outbreak of Covid-19. In a special address to

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Cambodia resumes issuance of tourist visas

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation has announced the resumption of its tourist visa and visa exemption programme after a long hiatus due to the Covid-19 pandemic. In a letter dated October 20 and addressed to foreign embassies and consulates, foreign minister Prak Sokhonn

  • S’ville set to turn into ‘second Shenzhen’

    The Ministry of Economy and Finance has awarded a master plan consultancy contract to top Chinese institute for the development and transformation of Preah Sihanouk province into a “Model Multi-Purpose Special Economic Zone”, Southeast Asia’s next logistics and resort hub and innovation centre. The