Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NEC chief still firmly in place

NEC chief still firmly in place

Tep Nytha (centre), secretary general of the National Election Committee, talks to the media during a press conference last year in Phnom Penh.
Tep Nytha (centre), secretary general of the National Election Committee, talks to the media during a press conference last year in Phnom Penh. Pha Lina

NEC chief still firmly in place

The National Election Committee has no plan to replace its secretary general, Tep Nytha, despite a pledge after the revamped body’s approval earlier this year to name someone new to the post within three months.

NEC spokesman Hang Puthea, who in June said the body would reshuffle within three months and select a new official to run its secretariat, yesterday told the Post the bipartisan group had yet to discuss replacing Nytha, head administrator of the NEC’s former iteration, which was often criticised for being pro-ruling party.

“We will have [these talks] in the future; until now, the NEC has not had plans to discuss this,” Puthea said.

Puthea said the committee had been busy pushing reforms, including digitising voter lists, a trial for which has been pushed back to November following problems with funding.

A restructuring of the body, however, is currently being undertaken, following the approval of two sub-decrees last month, allowing it to form a new administration to help organise the 2017 and 2018 local and national elections, Puthea said.

He said the NEC’s 318 staff, including Nytha, would be reviewed to see whether they had any “problems” with following the new committee and Election Law, two of the main compromises exacted by the Cambodian National Rescue Party to end their boycott of parliament following the disputed 2013 elections.

“If any of our staff has done something that is not by the law, then the NEC will talk about this,” he said.

Nytha started as chief of cabinet for the NEC secretary general in 1998, before moving to his current role in 2002.

He was previously deputy director of propaganda and education for the Youth Association of Cambodia, the ruling party’s youth wing.

Yesterday, he declined to comment on his NEC tenure.

Yim Sovann, spokesman for the CNRP, which has called for Nytha’s swift removal, said change was needed to restore trust in the NEC.

He said the party would consider how to press the issue when president Sam Rainsy returned from abroad.

Independent commentator Ou Virak said keeping Nytha in place appeared a power play by the CPP.

As the opposition is pushing for change, extending Nytha’s tenure could help pressure the CNRP into a more-agreeable candidate for the ruling party, he said.

“Time is on [the CPP’s] side,” he added.

Koul Panha, head of election watchdog Comfrel, said replacing Nytha would help usher in a stronger push for reform, particularly with access to government funds.

He said the current secretariat was stuck with “old practices” and weren’t pushing hard enough for budget autonomy, guaranteed by the new Election Law.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to

  • Government set to make up for cancelled April holiday

    The government is set to make up for a five-day Khmer New Year holiday late this month or early next month. The holiday was earlier cancelled due to the onset of Covid-19. The announcement is expected on Friday as the government is studying a range

  • Families told to register for cash handouts

    The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year. Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this