Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NEC defends holiday halt




NEC defends holiday halt

National Election Committee members speak to the press on voter registration for next year’s national elections earlier this month in Phnom Penh.
National Election Committee members speak to the press on voter registration for next year’s national elections earlier this month in Phnom Penh.

NEC defends holiday halt

A National Election Committee (NEC) member has defended the electoral body’s decision to cease registration for the Pchum Ben holiday, despite its Secretary-General Tep Nytha complaining last week that registrations were only trickling in because migrant workers – many of whom return home for major holidays – had not registered.

Migrant worker and electoral rights advocates have criticised the electoral body for not facilitating registration of overseas Cambodians, who number close to 1.5 million, and most of whom are in Thailand, Malaysia and South Korea.

Hang Puthea, NEC member and spokesman, said the body decided to take the three-day holiday off because they had observed most people would be present a few days before and after the holidays to register.

“And migrant workers will still manage to register even though the NEC takes three days off, as they take a public holiday for much longer than three days,” he said.

Last year, despite opposition requests to keep registrations ongoing during the holiday, the NEC registration booths were open for only one day.

“Last year we decided to work one day instead of all three days, because there were many more people to register,” he said.

Two weeks ago, NEC Secretary-General Nytha complained that process was progressing slower than expected because of depressed migrant worker registrations, with Puthea saying at the time that there would be an uptick during the holiday period.

While around 60,000 people registered during the week of Pchum Ben, numbers were only slightly higher than the 52,000 and 43,000 registered in the preceding weeks.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.