Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NEC receives heaps of hardware from China

NEC receives heaps of hardware from China

NEC receives heaps of hardware from China

The National Election Committee yesterday announced the details of an assistance package from China, which has pledged to support Cambodia’s upcoming commune and national elections, set for 2017 and 2018.

According to an NEC press release, the body received 170 generators, 85 computers and a host of other electronic devices. The shipment will be followed by more equipment soon, the statement said.

Speaking yesterday, NEC spokesman Hang Puthea said the office hardware would be sent to the provinces to support the current voter registration drive and other election preparation efforts.

As of October 10, the NEC said it had registered 5,047,557 of Cambodia’s estimated 9.6 million eligible voters.

MOST VIEWED

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police

  • Rapper deletes song critical of Cambodian social issues

    A young musician has deleted from Facebook and YouTube a rap song that was critical of Cambodia’s social issues and announced that he will stop singing the song after officials visited his home in Siem Reap province and allegedly gave him a warning. Provincial

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on