Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New B Kak plots draw ire, resignation

New B Kak plots draw ire, resignation

New B Kak plots draw ire, resignation

Phnom Penh municipal authorities yesterday measured plots of land for five displaced Boeung Kak families who have refrained from long-running protests, prompting criticism from activists, at least one of whom accused the city of giving Boeung Kak land to strangers.

Phnom Penh Deputy Governor Khuong Sreng said that the five 4-by-18-metre plots demonstrated City Hall’s commitment to solve the Boeung Kak dispute.

However, some of the families for whom the land was measured said they were still unhappy, but had accepted the plots because it was the best offer they would get.

“I did not agree [when I was evicted in 2011] and wrote a letter demanding intervention,” said Va Kheang, who said he lived on his former plot since the 1980s. “But having no options, we told them we would accept the solution, because it was better than nothing.”

In November, municipal officials measured land in villages 6, 22, 23 and 24, promising to give land titles to 32 families.

Those titles are yet to be issued and yesterday’s demarcation prompted anger among villagers still awaiting a resolution.

Nget Khun, a Boeung Kak activist in her seventies who has spent time in Prey Sar prison for protesting evictions, queried why City Hall had measured land for families she has “never seen at protests before”.

“We suspect they added these people to the list to take advantage of the 12.44 hectares in our community,” she said, referring to the land sliced from developer Shukaku’s concession in 2011.

But Sreng, the deputy governor, said such accusations only “made people more and more fired up, and Phnom Penh municipal officials would not be stupid” enough to do that.

Eleven of the 32 land titles from November’s demarcation had already been finalised, he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • IPU slams government claim

    The president of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), Gabriela Cuevas Barron, has refuted a claim by the National Assembly that she “highly appreciated the achievements of Cambodia” in its July national elections with a tweet saying “Of course not!” before adding “No congratulations”. A delegation from