Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New fines announced for trash code violators



New fines announced for trash code violators

A man wheels his goods past a pile of rubbish at Phnom Penh’s Kab Ko market last year.
A man wheels his goods past a pile of rubbish at Phnom Penh’s Kab Ko market last year. Eli Meixler

New fines announced for trash code violators

A stern warning to clean up or pay up was issued to litterbugs yesterday, with Interior Minister Sar Kheng announcing fines for improper waste disposal across the country.

The announcement came as Kheng outlined the details of a new sub-decree on waste management, which includes an order to municipal and provincial authorities to put the onus for refuse control on individuals and businesses.

“The national administration will fund local authorities to achieve the management . . . of liquid and solid waste in populated areas by suggesting that people change their behaviour and take part in environmental protection,” he said.

According to the sub-decree, people who do not follow guidelines on separating waste, or who dump or burn rubbish in public places, will be fined between 10,000 and 200,000 riel (about $2.50 to $50). Businesses and other enterprises will also be fined if they are found to have broken the law.

“If the people do not pay the fine on deadline, the fine will be doubled or tripled. If they do not pay in 90 days, the authorities will file documents to the appropriate court,” the sub-decree reads.

A local environment official, who declined to be named because he was not authorised to talk to the media, said he hoped the sub-decree would change people’s attitudes towards waste disposal.

“But it will take time to widely announce and educate people about hygiene and keeping our environment clean.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants