Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New plans revealed for Sihanoukville beaches

New plans revealed for Sihanoukville beaches

An artist’s impression of a planned Otres Beach redevelopment in the coastal town of Sihanoukville. Photo supplied
An artist’s impression of a planned Otres Beach redevelopment in the coastal town of Sihanoukville. Photo supplied

New plans revealed for Sihanoukville beaches

Work is due to begin soon on the development of four Preah Sihanouk province beaches, according to a Facebook post by Land Management Minister Chea Sophara.

The post showed digital mock-ups of the planned improvements for Ochheuteal, Otres, Independence and Royal beaches, including an entrance archway supported by two 8-metre dolphin statues.

“Preah Sihanouk province’s beaches will be developed starting today with the participation of the people and donors,” Sophara said.

Meanwhile, seafront businesses who have long operated in the shadow of eviction notices say they are still in limbo.

Notices of eviction to make way for the development were first served to vendors operating on the beaches in 2010. In February 2016 fresh notices were served to 160 vendors, but so far only 14 on Ochheuteal Beach have been forced to vacate.

Lev Kem Eng, a representative of 62 vendors on Otres Beach, yesterday said that she had not seen the development plans. She did say that the vendors have submitted renovation plans for their own stores to authorities, but had yet to hear a response.

Provincial Governor Yun Min said yesterday that the authorities are searching for a solution for the vendors. He said he did not know when development work would begin or when orders to evict beachfront businesses would come.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archaeologists find ancient remnant

    A team from the Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a gatekeeper statue’s foot fragment at the Tonle Snguot Temple, within a metre of the toe of a statue found in 2017. ANA spokesman Long Kosal told The Post on Wednesday that the fragment was

  • Hun Sen to the rescue

    Cambodia has won praise for allowing passengers of the MS Westerdam cruise ship to dock at Preah Sihanouk port, thanks to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s humanitarian act. In a message via Twitter on Wednesday, the director-general of the World Health Organisation Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesu

  • EU partially withdraws EBA

    The EU Commission on Wednesday announced the partial withdrawal of the Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme, citing a serious and systematic violation by Cambodia of principles in the four core human and labour rights. The suspension affects one-fifth or €1 billion ($1.08 billion) of Cambodia’s annual

  • Japan calls for policy changes

    Representatives of Japanese companies and investors on Wednesday submitted a list of policy recommendations to the government concerning 21 challenges to the Kingdom’s business climate. Japanese Ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami and leaders of the Japanese Business Association in Cambodia (JBAC), Japan International Cooperation Agency

  • Still no word about EBA but rice likely unaffected

    Officials on Monday said the government had not received an official statement regarding the EU’s potential withdrawal of Cambodia’s Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme. The EU launched the EBA withdrawal procedure on February 12, citing “a deterioration of democracy [and] respect for human rights”

  • Hate worse than virus, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday criticised countries that have cancelled flights with China following the outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), arguing that such moves amounted to discrimination against the Chinese. In a speech delivered during the groundbreaking ceremony for work on national roads 2