Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New trial for Vichea suspects

New trial for Vichea suspects

New trial for Vichea suspects

The two men accused of killing trade union leader Chea Vichea last year will return

to the Phnom Penh municipal court in early August for a retrial in the controversial

case.

Presiding judge Kong Seth said he has scheduled the hearing for the first week of

August and will issue a letter next week to the suspect's lawyers to officially inform

them.

"I think there is no problem, the trial will proceed as usual," Seth said.

Despite both men having alibis, Bourn Samnang, 23, and Sok Samoeun, 36, stand accused

of the January 22, 2004, assassination of Vichea, an outspoken union activist and

Sam Rainsy Party supporter.

Charges against the men were dropped in March 2004 due to lack of evidence, but investigating

judge Hing Thirith was then transferred to Stung Treng and the case sent to the Appeal

Court.

A first municipal court hearing was scheduled in January 2005, but the suspects'

lawyers boycotted the trial, saying their appeal for bail had not yet been decided,

prompting Seth to postpone the case.

The Appeal Court rejected the bail request, and on July 8 the Supreme Court upheld

the decision.

The Supreme Court ruling was criticized by the Cambodian Human Rights Action Committee

(CHRAC), a coalition of 18 NGOs.

"The strategy of the Supreme Court, which said criminal suspects could not be

released on bail, is not fair because no article of law supports that [position],"

stated CHRAC in a July 8 press release.

Samnang defense's lawyer, Chum Sovannaly, said he will attend the trial now that

bail applications have been exhausted.

"I'm already prepared to join the trial," Sovannaly said.

The men have been in detention for almost 18 months.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • IPU slams government claim

    The president of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), Gabriela Cuevas Barron, has refuted a claim by the National Assembly that she “highly appreciated the achievements of Cambodia” in its July national elections with a tweet saying “Of course not!” before adding “No congratulations”. A delegation from