Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New villages are "best- worst" refugee option



New villages are "best- worst" refugee option

New villages are "best- worst" refugee option

SISOPHON - Resettlement for good in an entirely new village is becoming the fate of an increasing number of IDPs in Banteay Meanchey. Local authorities now consider it the "best worst solution": the best they can make of a bad situation.

As return to their devastated villages or an improvement in squalid camp conditions both look impossible, new villages in safer locations are being envisaged.

These villages will be close to communication lines and big towns where the security situation is less volatile.

Such new villages will free precious space in the overcrowded old camps and authorities are hoping they will then have the infrastructure to deal with the influx of new refugees expected during the dry season.

Only volunteers will go to the new villages, because several people still hope to go back to the place they were born in. But for many others, it is often the last hope of creating again social ties with a new community.

This is, for example, the case of Sra Prang, 42, mother of four children. After arriving in the Site 2 border camp in 1982, she lost her husband in 1991 and was able to go back to her village in Banteay Meanchey only in February last year. Fifteen months later she had to move again to Wat Keo camp in Mongkol Borei because of KR attacks. "Where will we go next?" she asked the Post in despair.

One new village has already been settled in Thmar Dekest, north of Sisophon. There, 682 volunteer families (2785 people) from the camp of Kang Var in Sisophon, have been given a patch of land, a house and big jars for water.

They have no rice fields but they can grow vegetables. These new villagers are still considered IDPs by humanitarian agencies but receive food in a different way.

Sa Roeung, private secretary of Doung Khem, the governor of Banteay Meanchey, explained that these villagers were given 200 kg of rice by WFP for every hectare of land they prepare for cultivation.

CMAC, which has worked in Battambang and Banteay Meanchey since 1993, plays a major role in these new projects by clearing land so it can be settled on. Despite security problems, CMAC deminers have so far escaped injury. They are nearly ready to hand over another area of land for a new village at Phnom Thom 10 km from Sisophon.

Lao Mong Hai, vice-president of CMAC, said: "By doing this, CMAC is actually violating one of its principles: not to intervene in areas where there is fighting."

The few areas which are free of fighting have been heavily mined for almost 20 years. So far, 342 CMAC deminers - 10 platoons - have cleared about 13 hectares of land since August. They found 254 mines and 140 rounds of unexploded ordnance.

Niem Chouleng, head of CMAC in Battambang told the Post: "In some places, we find one mine every ten meters. So it takes times to rehabilitate the land, one platoon can clear 0.5 hectare each week."

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and