Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New warrant as hunt on for Tiger Head boss

New warrant as hunt on for Tiger Head boss

Som Ek, convicted of masterminding a failed bomb plot, is escorted into Phnom Penh Municipal Court in 2014.
Som Ek, convicted of masterminding a failed bomb plot, is escorted into Phnom Penh Municipal Court in 2014. Hong Menea

New warrant as hunt on for Tiger Head boss

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court has released a warrant for the re-arrest of Som Ek, who was imprisoned for planting a bomb at the Ministry of Defence in 2009 but escaped while hospitalised over the weekend.

Ek, the leader of the Tiger Head Movement, which is considered a terrorist organisation by the government, fled the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital on Saturday, with authorities saying the guards supervising him fell asleep after eating food laced with drugs.

An arrest warrant was issued on Monday, noting that Ek, who was sentenced to 28 years in prison for the 2009 attack and another 18 years for a separate plan to bomb the Cambodian-Vietnamese Friendship Monument in 2007, had served less than eight years.

“I, Souer Vanny, a Phnom Penh municipal deputy prosecutor, order all the public armed forces to seek and arrest Som Ek, 44, to serve his sentence according to the power of the criminal verdict,” the warrant says.

Interior Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak said police were now searching for Ek, who previously maintained residence in Thailand. “We are taking actions to look for him. We will work hard to get him,” he said.

Sam Serey, leader of the Khmer National Liberation Front, which is also considered a terrorist organisation by the government and an outgrowth of the Tiger Head Movement, said by telephone from Denmark he had not heard from Ek.

“We used to be in the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces together, but I have not heard from him since he was sent to prison,” Serey said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Siem Reap’s Angkor Botanical Garden opens

    The Angkor Botanical Garden was officially opened on May 19 with free entry for both local and international visitors for the first six weeks. The garden was established on a nearly 15ha plot of land in Siem Reap. “After the first six weeks, Angkor Botanical Garden

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub

  • Hun Sen: Don’t react to hostility

    Prime Minister Hun Sen urged tolerance and thanked members of the Cambodian diaspora for not reacting to the hostility on display towards him by others while he was in the US to attend the May 12-13 ASEAN-US Special Summit in Washington, DC. In an audio