Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NGO offers KR deal to free hostages



NGO offers KR deal to free hostages

NGO offers KR deal to free hostages

A N NGO has offered to provide water well drilling equipment and training to the

Khmer Rouge in exchange for the release of four staff, including a US woman, who

were taken hostage.

Robin Shell, director of Food for the Hungry

International, said: "We are negotiating with the KR using the normal

development approach, providing them with equipment and training so that they

can dig water wells themselves."

Shell said originally nine Cambodians

were kidnapped on March 31 by the KR, 20 km south of Kampot's district town of

Chhuk.

"Five captives were released two hours later to take back the

message that the KR wanted an expatriate to come and negotiate about wells."

Melissa Himes, a 24-year-old American relief official with FHI, went

that afternoon to negotiate the release of the rest of the captives when she was

herself taken hostage by the KR.

Shell said: "We have sought advice from

Crisis Consultants, a US company specializing in the release of kidnap victims,

we've decided to adopt a low-key approach which we believe is the best way to

solve the problem.

"Negotiations have been conducted through village

messengers. The KR did not ask for money, but they requested we provide them

with three wells.

"We offered instead to give them equipment and

training, now we are waiting for their response, we would like to help them with

wells as much as anybody else."

He added: "I feel confident but

concerned, we want our staff to come back. Two letters sent so far from Melissa

say she and her colleagues have been well-treated."

The KR carried out a

number of kidnappings of foreigners last year during the election process. All

the hostages were released unharmed.

Sources speculate that their well

digging activity may have been tapping into the KR's already limited water

supplies in the region.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through