Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NGOs concerned about KRT




NGOs concerned about KRT

NGOs concerned about KRT

More than 30 local NGOs have joined to criticise the Khmer Rouge tribunal’s handling of its controversial third and fourth cases, expressing concern that “the impartiality, integrity, and the independence of ECCC judges are being tainted”.

Developments over the past few weeks at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia, as the tribunal is formerly known, have sparked accusations from some observers that the court’s investigating judges are planning to scuttle the third and fourth cases due to pressure from the Cambodian government.

While the Case 004 investigation is still open, the investigating judges announced the closure of their Case 003 investigation last month.

In response, British co-prosecutor Andrew Cayley issued a statement last week saying that the allegations in Case 003 “have not been fully investigated” and calling for a series of additional – and seemingly basic – investigative steps including examinations of mass grave sites and the questioning of the suspects in the case. The Case 003 suspects are identified in court documents as former KR navy commander Meas Muth and air force commander Sou Met, though the court has not yet officially made their names public.

Yesterday, 32 civil society groups including Legal Aid of Cambodia, Adhoc and the Cambodian Human Rights Action Committee issued a statement urging the court and the international community to ensure that judicial independence is maintained.

“We urge all concerned individuals and groups to take appropriate action to ensure that the Case 003 and 004 investigations are full and genuine,” the groups said, adding that the court “must safeguard against any creation of negationist or revisionist records about what happened” under the Khmer Rouge.

United Nations court spokesman Lars Olsen said yesterday that the tribunal did not need outside input in its judicial decision-making.

“The court will continue to do its job independently according to the legal framework for the ECCC,” he said. “That means also independent of civil society.”

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15