Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NGOs: stop the violence



NGOs: stop the violence

A female protesting in front of city hall is grabbed by the throat by a police officer in July
A female protesting in front of city hall is grabbed by the throat by a police officer in July. Heng Chivoan

NGOs: stop the violence

In June last year, Bov Srey Sras lost her unborn baby after being kicked in the stomach by a police officer at a public protest.

The incident, captured on camera, came as she stood outside the Court of Appeal calling for the release of her sister, who had been imprisoned after a three-hour trial.

Following her miscarriage, Srey Sras tried to sue the unknown police officer responsible for kicking her along with his superiors – a move that prompted a response from deputy Phnom Penh police chief Phoung Malay that many considered repugnant.

“Is the victim old or young, and does she sue me to return her kid?” Malay said to a Post reporter at the time. “I want to tell her that if she wants to get back her kid, I am also young.”

Authorities have taken no action over the violence or Malay’s comments.

As a coalition of NGOs, unions and protesters yesterday called on government forces to stop using violence against women, Srey Sras remained without compensation – or even a simple apology.

Following the fatal shooting of a 49-year-old female bystander during a police crackdown on protesting SL Garment workers in the capital’s Meanchey district on November 12, Srey Sras is not convinced that an apology will come.

“The authorities and police are continuing to make violence against women … and they’re now shooting at people.”

In the aftermath of Srey Sras’s miscarriage, National Police spokesman Kirt Chantharith said disciplinary measures would be taken against Malay, but only if it was proved he had made the comments.

Such action is unlikely to be made, as Phnom Penh police chief Chhuon Sovann recently told the Post that Malay had been made a spokesman for the municipal police, while retaining his title of deputy chief.

Malay could not be reached yesterday, while Sovann was unavailable to talk and Chantharith hung up on a reporter after saying he was too busy to comment.

In light of violent incidents against female demonstrators – and the authorities’ unwillingness to appropriately respond to them – the coalition’s statement yesterday called on government forces to stop using violence on women who take to the streets to defend their rights.

“As the international community celebrates the 16 Days of Activism to End Gender Violence from November 25 to December 10, we … call on the government to end violence against women perpetrated by its agents,” a statement reads.

The statement was issued by groups including Licadho, the Cambodian Center for Independent Media (CCIM) and the Boeung Kak and Borei Keila communities.

The coalition also called on authorities to launch independent investigations into all violent incidents against female protesters.

Incidents referenced included the SL Garment strike shooting, the electric shock and slingshot attack on women protesting at Wat Phnom on September 22, and the shooting of three garment workers in Svay Rieng province last year.

Bov Srey Sras is kicked by a police officer during a demonstration outside the Appeal Court in Phnom Penh
Bov Srey Sras is kicked by a police officer during a demonstration outside the Appeal Court in Phnom Penh in 2012. Meng Kimlong

Then-Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith, who was responsible for the Svay Rieng incident, injured three workers when he opened fire on a crowd of strikers. He has since been sentenced to prison but remains at large.

“Very few cases of violence against women by authorities have been investigated, and even fewer have resulted in appropriate punishment,” said Tephalline Ou, vice president of the Cambodian Food and Service Worker Federation (CFSWF), in the statement. “As long as this continues, violence against women will remain commonplace in Cambodia.”

The coalition called on the Ministry of Women’s Affairs as well as police to take the lead in bringing about change.

When contacted yesterday, Sy Define, secretary of state at the ministry, said she was too busy to comment as she was getting ready for a wedding. Minister of Women’s Affairs Ing Kantha Phavi could not be reached.

Recent reports have highlighted the high incidence of violence against women in Cambodia.

According to a UN report released in September, one in five Cambodian men has committed rape, but more than 44 per cent of them have never faced the legal consequences.

Naly Pilorge, director of Licadho, said in the coalition’s statement that the connection between violence in the public sphere and the private sphere could not be ignored.

“It is not surprising that Cambodia has such high levels of violence against women, when the authorities themselves use violence with impunity,” she said.

Today, the coalition will march from Wat Phnom in the capital to the Ministry of Women’s Affairs and the headquarters of the National Police.

Srey Sras, meanwhile, will continue pushing for action to be taken over her miscarriage.

“I’m still suffering and feel sorry that [Phnom Penh Municipal] Court has not processed my complaint,” she said. “I’ll keep waiting for police to say sorry.”

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY MOM KUNTHEAR

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting