Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Nhek Bun Chhay mystified by attack on wife and home

Nhek Bun Chhay mystified by attack on wife and home

Nhek Bun Chhay mystified by attack on wife and home

Bunchay.jpg

Senator Nhek Bun Chhay

FUNCINPEC Senator Nhek Bun Chhay said he is mystefied about an attack on his family

and home which has left his wife in a Bangkok Hospital with head injuries.

Bun Chhay was in Australia at the time of the attack. He said his family and guards

told him that at about 2am on September 13 a group of 10 soldiers wearing parachute

regiment uniforms broke through the back door of his house and attacked the people

inside.

"My wife had a gun pointed at her and she was beaten on the head with a rifle

butt," he said.

"They took a bag with about $500 cash and a phone and jewelry from my wife and

daughter worth about $4000."

Bun Chhay said that he believed the attack might be an attempt to intimidate him,

particularly as it came about the same time that the Sam Rainsy Party and Funcinpec

were being pressured over the rocket attack in Siem Reap last year.

"All these events happened at the same time: my problem with the house, the

call to Funcinpec officials for questioning over the rocket attack, and the arrest

of Sam Rainsy Party officials.

"It seems they are threatening us because we used to lead the resistance forces

against them during the coup and the Sam Rainsy Party because they are the opposition.

"But I cannot conclude that these actions are political or not."

He said it was possible the attack was by one of his neighbors who had links to the

military and that it was a simple robbery.

He said the Government had no reason to intimidate him because he had told them he

was not involved in any activities which would cause trouble.

"I have talked to Hun Sen a few times to make clear I am not going to cause

any problems," he said.

Bun Chhay said that he was so keen to avoid making trouble that he was staying clear

of his former comrades so he could not be accused of fomenting rebellion, particularly

with the current rumors of a Khmer Serei guerrilla force being formed.

"I am afraid to go and see my former forces because I am afraid that I will

be accussed of being involved with the Khmer Serei."

He said he regrets having to cut himself from his former troops, especially as many

of them are not doing well.

"They are having a hard life. I am sorry for them."

Though Bun Chhay has little or no contact with the former resistance he is aware

of their situation and it worries him that little has been done for the soldiers

who missed out on reintegration.

He said there were more than 10,000 soldiers in O'Smach but only 5011 were reintegrated

into RCAF and only 3000 guns were handed in.

It is a situation that he believes could erupt if not sorted out soon.

"It is very dangerous when the troops have no food and no money," he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • China steel company relocates to Cambodia

    Chinese state-owned iron and steel company China Baowu Steel Group Corp Ltd has unveiled plans to relocate its blast furnaces from Xinjiang Autonomous Region in the northwest of China to Cambodia, which will be the first overseas Baowu production plant, a Reuters report on Wednesday

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on