The death toll from a fire at a nightclub in Phnom Penh last week has risen to six, as a man badly injured in the blaze died at the capital’s Calmette Hospital on Monday night.
Di Lida, 32, was one of two male staff members reported to have been left in serious condition after the fire ripped through the Key Club in Meanchey district on September 7.
The blaze killed five women and girls, including two members of staff and three teenage customers, while Lida and Khum Channut, 25, were rushed to hospital.
The club’s owner, Phon Bunthoen, has been in hiding since the incident, however, a representative of the club, Brak Chanraksmey, yesterday insisted the venue would fully cooperate with police investigations.
“We have never been thinking about escaping and ignoring our responsibility to any victims, because we are also the victims of the fire,” said Chanraksmey.
According to Meanchey district police chief Meng Vimeandara, club representatives and members of the victims’ families are due to meet on Wednesday at the district police headquarters to discuss compensation.
However, Vimeandara said legal proceedings would only likely follow if the parties involved could not come to a financial settlement.
“If they cannot reach an agreement, we will forward the case to the court to take further action,” he said.
Lida’s body was yesterday transported to his family home in Kandal province’s Takhmao town, where his funeral took place.
Following the fire, Phnom Penh Municipal Court closed down the building pending a full safety review.