Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Nike seeks investigation of mass fainting incidents

Nike seeks investigation of mass fainting incidents

Nike seeks investigation of mass fainting incidents

Global sportswear giant Nike has asked the International Labour Organisation’s industry monitoring body to investigate the two mass fainting incidents at its supplier Sabrina (Cambodia) Manufacturing last week and report its finding to it, Nike said yesterday.

“Nike has requested ILO Better [Factories] Cambodia, the industry supply chain governance body in Cambodia, to include this incident in their current research into the causes behind mass faintings in the region,” it said in a statement to the Post.

“Given the recent history of mass faintings in Cambodia, we have asked Better [Factories] Cambodia to extend their research in this area to the current incident. We expect to receive their report next week,” the email said.

Maeve Galvin, a Better Factories consultant, said their investigation had been completed and that it has been working closely with Nike on the incident and with other brands sourcing from Cambodia on the wider issue of fainting

She said Better Factories was preparing to implement an advocacy plan to help alleviate the causes of faintings at factories, and that poor communications between workers and management were one of several common threads in the fainting incidents, which had no single cause.

The advocacy campaign would include “comedy-themed television programming that would show life on the factory floor” and distribution of “nutrition calendars for workers developed by workers”, Galvin said. “The comedy will present messages on how to avoid fainting to workers and the wider public,” she added.

The campaign would include incentives for factories and workers.

A “one change campaign” would provide an incentive for factories to make one change that alleviated one of the factors identified as underlying the fainting incidents.

Buyers would be notified that the factory had made the change, she said.

The campaign would also draw on a group of 10 “experts by experience” which would comprise workers who had either fainted or been in a factory when a fainting incident occurred.

These experts would become “the faces and voices” of the issue, Galvin said.

The “experts by experience” would “build the skills of a small group of workers, giving them the skills to become industry advocates and showcase their knowledge”, she said.

She said eliminating mass fainting would require a long-term, integrated strategy involving all stakeholders, and require behavioural changes among workers and management.

The new advocacy campaign, which will be launched at the end of this month, was “designed to reach the industry as a whole”, Galvin said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Vincent MacIsaac at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a