Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Nine file with court to make surrogacy claim



Nine file with court to make surrogacy claim

A Cambodian surrogate mother photographed earlier this year in Kampong Speu province. HENG CHIVOAN
A Cambodian surrogate mother photographed earlier this year in Kampong Speu province. Heng Chivoan

Nine file with court to make surrogacy claim

Two weeks after the Ministry of Interior released official guidelines for removing babies born through surrogacy from the country, the intended parents of just nine such children have followed the instructions and taken their cases to court, a Phnom Penh Municipal Court official said yesterday.

The guidelines, which were sent to embassies, require intended parents to get a DNA test, explain the reasons they undertook surrogacy and file paperwork to the court. They also stipulate that parents must give the Cambodian government an update on their child’s mental and physical wellbeing each year until the child turns 18.

“We have received nine applications from January to July, and they now have been sent to the judge,” said Sous Vichyea Randy, the court’s deputy administration chief. “No cases have been decided by the judges yet.”

Sam Everingham, of Australian-based advocacy group Families through Surrogacy, said an estimated 200 babies – or possibly double that – had been born via surrogacy in Cambodia.

He said the relatively low uptake of the government’s proposed methods for exiting the country were “in line” with the group’s expectations.

“I can’t estimate how many Australians have exited with babies to date, but none to my knowledge have utilised the new exit arrangements,” he said in an email.

Several parents have avoided the Cambodian government’s bureaucracy and instead taken their infants out of Cambodia through countries such as Vietnam and Singapore.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese