Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - No charges for six over man’s death

No charges for six over man’s death

No charges for six over man’s death

The six men suspected over the fatal shooting and beating of a 24-year-old man in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district on early Monday morning were returned home after questioning, according to police, who insist the investigation will continue until the gunman behind the fatal shot is found.

The men, all security guards from a venue called City Club, had been in a verbal altercation with the victim, Kong Socheat, shortly before he was shot in the head at about 4am, said local police in Stung Meanchey commune on Monday.

Choun Narin, deputy police chief of the Phnom Penh Municipality, told the Post yesterday that the six men had returned home after they were thoroughly questioned on Monday evening.

“We just called them for questioning and allowed them back home afterwards, and they were not charged either,” he said.

“However, this case is under investigation. We will not allow criminals to live outside the law.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong