Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - No trace of escapee Sin Song

No trace of escapee Sin Song

No trace of escapee Sin Song

F ORMER National Security Minister Sin Song was sentenced to 20 years' imprisonment for his part in the coup, though he was not present in court during the prosecution on Oct 27-28.

Sin Song had escaped from the provisional detention at a Ministry of Defense "safe house" on Sept 4 and has not been seen since.

He was allegedly a top player in the failed coup of July 2 and was immediately arrested by government forces.

The Royal Government has admitted that Sin Song probably had help in escaping from the people who were guarding him.

He is now thought to be in Vietnam.

The co-Minister of Interior You Hokry said the government has not yet had any clue of Sin Song's hiding place.

You Hockry told the Post last month that Sin Song might have escaped to the east and that his getaway car was found on Sept 5 in Takhmao town, Kandal province, 10 km east of the capital.

Lt-Gen Chay Sangyun, secretary of state in the Ministry of Defense said in evidence that Sin Song had asked him to prepare the armed forces for a coup.

"We depend on the police and the Head of Police Sin Sen to make a coup. After the coup we will set up a National Salvation Council," Sangyun quoted Sin Song as saying.

Sangyun revealed Sin Song's plan was to launch the coup d'état on July 2 at 7 p.m.

"Song wanted to cut electricity and telephones throughout the city and planned to capture the Co-Prime Ministers.

"Sin Song said he himself would lead the forces to take over the airfield, and in cooperation with the Thai special force he would capture three generals, Pan Thai, Kroch Yeun and Niek Bunchai.

Lt-Gen Bou Thong said Sin Song gave him $40,000 to be part of the coup.

He said he accepted the money as proof before giving it to the Ministry of Defense and reporting the matter to the top leaders.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • IPU slams government claim

    The president of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), Gabriela Cuevas Barron, has refuted a claim by the National Assembly that she “highly appreciated the achievements of Cambodia” in its July national elections with a tweet saying “Of course not!” before adding “No congratulations”. A delegation from