Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Nonn talks after his release



Nonn talks after his release

Nonn talks after his release

T HE editor of the Morning News Nguon Nonn granted the Post an exclusive interview on Aug 6 - the day he was released from PJ prison after spending 28 days in detention, the majority of which was in solitary confinement.

What was it like in jail?

"I had enough food, but it did not taste very good. I was fortunate that some of the other prisoners were able to give me some nice tasting food that had been brought to them by their families.

"The cell was quite well lit during the daytime.

"My son was able to visit me three times while I was in jail."

Were you angry at the government sending you to prison?

"I regretted it. The government is keen to use the people to fight in the army in wars, but it appears the government is not keen to let the people be involved in the politics of democracy."

Were you disappointed that Funcinpec MPs did not try harder to secure your release? [Nonn was the former cabinet secretary to Co-Premier Prince Norodom Ranariddh].

"To my knowledge they did try hard to get me released. Prince Ranariddh wrote a letter requesting my release."

Why did you decide that you no longer wanted Charto to defend you in court?

"I noticed that Charto seemed very busy. I am very pleased that Licadho and Adhoc are now defending me."

Do you wish to continue publishing your newspaper?

"Maybe. After this experience in jail I will have to think about my options."

Nonn was also questioned extensively about the articles he wrote in Morning News from July 4-8 naming top CPP officials involved in the failed coup.

"I wish to respect the government decree and not talk about anything to do with the coup. I did have sources for my articles, though some of the comments in them were my own opinions."

Sources close to Nonn said he only wrote the articles about the failed coup after extensive talks with "high-up" people in the interior of the country.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman