Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Noodles blamed after 89 villagers sickened in Takeo

Noodles blamed after 89 villagers sickened in Takeo

People talk to the Takeo provincial governor (left) yesterday after they were hospitalised with food poisoning. Photo supplied
People talk to the Takeo provincial governor (left) yesterday after they were hospitalised with food poisoning. Photo supplied

Noodles blamed after 89 villagers sickened in Takeo

Eighty-nine people from two villages in Takeo province were treated in hospital for stomachaches, nausea and diarrhoea yesterday after eating what authorities believe was bad batch of noodles.

The affected villagers – aged between 4 and 72 years old – had all attended two separate religious ceremonies in Cheang Tong commune’s Tourl Tbeng and Tam Sem villages on Sunday where noodles from the same supplier were served.

While most of the patients were expected to be released by last night, three elderly patients remained in a serious condition, said Ang Rorka referral hospital director Heng Ty.

“Initially, the villagers didn’t know they had food poisoning,” Ty said. “They had diarrhoea and they went to the health centres and found out that many other people there had the same symptoms, so the health centres informed us.”

Tram Kak district deputy police chief Sok Sochea said that the noodles were suspected to be the cause because they were served at both ceremonies. However, tests on the ingredients had yet to be carried out yesterday.

Thou Sarom, 48, from Tourl Tbeng village, said she began to feel ill only hours after eating the noodles at the ceremony.

Local authorities have asked the noodle maker to cease operations, pending the test results.

MOST VIEWED

  • US think tank warns of China's 'ulterior motives'

    A US think tank on Tuesday warned that spreading Chinese investment in the Indo-Pacific follows a pattern of leveraging geopolitical influence at the expense of the nations receiving investment, including Cambodia. The report looks at a sample of 15 Chinese port development projects, noting that the

  • More than three tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia seized in Mozambique

    A total of 3.5 tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia was seized by authorities in Mozambique late last week, according to the NGO Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). CITES' information was based on a report from the

  • Defence Ministry denies weapons in smuggling case came from Cambodia

    After a Thai national was arrested last week for allegedly smuggling guns from Cambodia to Thailand, Cambodia's Defence Ministry has claimed the weapons seized during the arrest are not used in Cambodia, despite the fact that both types of rifle seized are commonly found in

  • Shipwreck found off coast of Koh Kong

    Royal Cambodian Navy researchers are working to identify a decades-old shipwreck found earlier this month off the coast of Koh Kong province. Divers found the 70-metre-long wreck on April 4 about a mile from Koh Chhlam island, according to Navy officials. Deputy Navy Commander Tea Sokha,