Eighty-nine people from two villages in Takeo province were treated in hospital for stomachaches, nausea and diarrhoea yesterday after eating what authorities believe was bad batch of noodles.
The affected villagers – aged between 4 and 72 years old – had all attended two separate religious ceremonies in Cheang Tong commune’s Tourl Tbeng and Tam Sem villages on Sunday where noodles from the same supplier were served.
While most of the patients were expected to be released by last night, three elderly patients remained in a serious condition, said Ang Rorka referral hospital director Heng Ty.
“Initially, the villagers didn’t know they had food poisoning,” Ty said. “They had diarrhoea and they went to the health centres and found out that many other people there had the same symptoms, so the health centres informed us.”
Tram Kak district deputy police chief Sok Sochea said that the noodles were suspected to be the cause because they were served at both ceremonies. However, tests on the ingredients had yet to be carried out yesterday.
Thou Sarom, 48, from Tourl Tbeng village, said she began to feel ill only hours after eating the noodles at the ceremony.
Local authorities have asked the noodle maker to cease operations, pending the test results.