Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Notorious pedo takes case to highest court

Notorious pedo takes case to highest court

Karl Heinz Henning, 66, the alleged mastermind of one of the country’s largest pedophilia rings, leaves the Court of Appeals in Phnom Penh.
Karl Heinz Henning, 66, the alleged mastermind of one of the country’s largest pedophilia rings, leaves the Court of Appeal in Phnom Penh. Vireak Mai

Notorious pedo takes case to highest court

The Supreme Court yesterday heard the appeal trial of a German man and two Vietnamese women who were convicted in 2007 for running what police at the time termed one of the most brutal pedophilia rings uncovered.

Karl Heinz Henning, 66 – the convicted mastermind of the ring – appeared at court yesterday to seek an acquittal of his 28-year sentence.

“I did not have sex with those girls. They just visited my room very often.… I ask the court to release me, because I have an incurable disease and have been in prison for seven years,” he told the court yesterday.

Henning was arrested in August 2006 along with another German national and three Vietnamese nationals – including one who was later found guilty of selling her own daughter. When police raided his home, they found four naked Vietnamese girls ranging in age from 10 to 14.

Seeking to evade the authorities, Henning threw himself out of a first-floor window. By the end of the raid, police had seized vast amounts of sadomasochistic child pornography – primarily images and footage of Henning and other older Western men whipping and raping bound children.

Cheng Thit You and Lim Ny, who received 17 and 15 years, respectively, on human-trafficking charges, yesterday denied the allegation. Their lawyer yesterday blasted the court for failing to launch a full investigation.

“The court listened to only the police reports and has not listened to evidence from the suspects,” said Peung Yokheab, the lawyer of Thit You and Henning, who asked that the pair have their sentence lessened to between five to 10 years.

“My clients are old and have a chronic disease too. I suggest the Supreme Court return the case to the appeal court to open the trial again.”

A verdict is expected on October 9.

MOST VIEWED

  • US think tank warns of China's 'ulterior motives'

    A US think tank on Tuesday warned that spreading Chinese investment in the Indo-Pacific follows a pattern of leveraging geopolitical influence at the expense of the nations receiving investment, including Cambodia. The report looks at a sample of 15 Chinese port development projects, noting that the

  • More than three tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia seized in Mozambique

    A total of 3.5 tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia was seized by authorities in Mozambique late last week, according to the NGO Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). CITES' information was based on a report from the

  • Defence Ministry denies weapons in smuggling case came from Cambodia

    After a Thai national was arrested last week for allegedly smuggling guns from Cambodia to Thailand, Cambodia's Defence Ministry has claimed the weapons seized during the arrest are not used in Cambodia, despite the fact that both types of rifle seized are commonly found in

  • Shipwreck found off coast of Koh Kong

    Royal Cambodian Navy researchers are working to identify a decades-old shipwreck found earlier this month off the coast of Koh Kong province. Divers found the 70-metre-long wreck on April 4 about a mile from Koh Chhlam island, according to Navy officials. Deputy Navy Commander Tea Sokha,