Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Number of complaints over exam results grows to 500

Number of complaints over exam results grows to 500

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Students file complaints with the Ministry of Education earlier this week over the results of their high school exams. Heng Chivoan

Number of complaints over exam results grows to 500

As of Wednesday, at least 500 high school students from Phnom Penh and other provinces have filed complaints regarding their examination grades, asking the Ministry of Education to review their tests.

A ministry spokesperson said the office would seek a solution to the matter.

Ministry of Education spokesperson Dy Khamboly said a committee had been established to address the dissatisfaction of some students.

“As of 3pm on Wednesday, the ministry has received about 500 complaints from exam candidates across the country,” Khamboly said, adding that an inquiry would begin and start delivering results within a week.

Starting Monday, a group of students gathered to protest in front of the Ministry of Education.

Failing favourite subject

Vong Saravuth, a grade 12 student from the capital’s Sovannaphum High School, said he lodged a complaint because he was not convinced that he had actually failed the mathematics test, given that it was his favourite subject.

“When I first saw the results which indicated I failed mathematics, I thought maybe I made mistakes during the examination, but after I checked with the scoring guide posted by the Ministry of Education, the result is not acceptable to me,” he said.

Saravuth said that he frequently received top scores in mathematics.

“Regarding scholarships in the country, some have already started to be offered. As for overseas ones, I applied to Japan. It will impact my application before reaching the interview phase on September 18. If I fail in mathematics, I might lose this scholarship,” Saravuth said.

He asked the ministry to review his exam result and provide a solution as soon as possible.

“Every year, I hear that the ministry does not listen to complaints. However, this year the ministry will probably work more than normal because the mistakes occurred in a lot of places,” he said.

Chan Phanara, a student from Ang Snoul High School in Kandal province, said he filed a complaint on Monday and is waiting for a solution as he found the result unacceptable.

He said he failed in mathematics while getting either a B or C in other subjects.

“I failed in mathematics which is unacceptable. I got Bs and Cs in other subjects. However, I failed in mathematics which makes my total grade an E,” Phanara said, claiming he spent four to five hours each day studying.

Tha Bunsin, from the capital’s Sisowath High School, said he complained because he disagreed with the result after he failed his favourite subjects which are mathematics and chemistry.

“The ones who sat next to me failed five subjects, but our results are similar,” he said.

He also said he got an E in the English test even though he was expecting an A or B.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said