Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Official denies illegal sand dredging claims



Official denies illegal sand dredging claims

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A company allegedly carries out an illegal sand dredging operation in Mondulkiri province. Photo supplied

Official denies illegal sand dredging claims

Members of the community in Bou Sra commune, in Mondulkiri province’s Pech Chreada district, alleged that a tycoon and a government official have been dredging sand illegally.

However, the latter claimed that they are just “testing” whilst the permit is “being processed”.

Kreus Kven, the community representative, told The Post on Monday that the sand dredging operation is underway without a licence, with hundreds of trucks transporting sand out of the site every day.

“The company has been pumping sand for weeks with no permission from the local authority."

“When asked if they have a permit, they claimed to have it and that they are just testing,” he continued, adding that the operation has been running since mid-October.

The company, Kven said, uses sand pumping equipment, an excavator, and many vehicles to transport and distribute sand throughout the province and surrounded areas.

Environment activist Kreung Tola said the operation affects nearby Phnom Nam Lear Wildlife Sanctuary and the local people who rely on it.

“I, along with other people, asked them to stop [the operation], but they refused. I warned them that we would protest in front of the commune and provincial halls if they keep dredging sand,” he said.

Tola alleged that the operation is masterminded by Nork Ven, an official from the Ministry of National Assembly-Senate Relations and Inspection.

However, Ven denied the claim. He told The Post that he is the company’s “representative”, and admitted that it had yet to receive a permit to conduct the operation. But he said the application for the licence had been submitted.

Ven added that the company has only been “testing” for the last one month to find out if “the area can provide enough sand to future clients”.

On meeting with representatives of the community, he said: “I met people from the community and I will discuss this issue later. If the company finds that this area cannot sufficiently supply sand to its clients, it will stop the operation.

“The company is just testing … it does not even have a name yet,” he said.

San Darith, director of the provincial mining department, said he is aware of the operation and plans to inspect the site.

Meanwhile, commune chief Yeut Sarin and district governor Meul Soeun could not be reached for comment on Monday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting