Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Official denies Prey Speu transfers




Official denies Prey Speu transfers

Detainees mill around the grounds of Prey Speu detention centre earlier this year.
Detainees mill around the grounds of Prey Speu detention centre earlier this year. Hong Menea

Official denies Prey Speu transfers

Phnom Penh’s Social Affairs Department yesterday dismissed reports that dozens of homeless people were sent to the city’s notorious Prey Speu detention centre this week, even as the United Nations confirmed the transfer and expressed concern at the continued use of the facility.

Kim Vutha, Daun Penh district’s chief of security, said on Wednesday that 61 homeless people were sent to the facility in the early hours of the morning after being rounded up from the streets.

The UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in Cambodia later said it had been informed that 54 people had been detained at the centre, including four to five children.

But Son Sophal, director of the Municipal Social Affairs Department, remained adamant yesterday that the facility, which has come under renewed fire this month after reports of two recent deaths there, had not been used.

“They [the 61 people] are all drug users, so we sent them to Orkas Khnom,” he said, referring to an equally controversial drug detention centre in Phnom Penh.

The reports earlier this month of more deaths at Prey Speu prompted pledges of reform from the government, which included the creation of a technical working group with a UN and civil society presence tasked with finding alternative solutions to the abusive centre.

But two weeks later, the group has yet to convene, as a prakas establishing it awaits approval, according to OHCHR’s country representative Wan-Hea Lee.

In the meantime, Lee said, OHCHR “continues to be concerned by the fact that people are still being rounded up and held at Prey Speu”.

“OHCHR has not been able to obtain clearance to return to the site recently. We are ready to do so at any moment.”

MOST VIEWED

  • First Khmer woman to pass out of West Point

    The life of a soldier certainly isn’t for everyone. The training is gruelling, the hours long and there’s no room for excuses. On top of that, soldiers must be ready to respond to sudden threats at a moment’s notice. Just ask Sithyka

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • Deminers unearth ancient lion statue

    Cambodia Mine Action Centre (CMAC) director-general Heng Ratana told The Post on Tuesday that a statue of a lion was found by mine clearance experts while they were digging for a development project. It was sent to the Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts last