Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials: army cutting logs in Koh Kong

Officials: army cutting logs in Koh Kong

Officials: army cutting logs in Koh Kong

K OH KONG - Elements of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) are illegally cutting

trees in Koh Kong province under cover of permission to export previously felled

trees, according to provincial authorities here.

Pal San, Koh Kong's 1st Deputy Governor, said soldiers from the 3rd Military Region

were cutting trees in zones controlled by breakaway Khmer Rouge and on Koh Kong Krao

island before shipping the timber to Thailand.

But, he said, provincial authorities were powerless to stop the illegal activity

and have called for the direct intervention of the co-Prime Ministers.

Pal San showed the Post a letter dated Feb 29 in which RCAF Chief of Staff Ke Kim

Yan requested the co-PM's approval to remove previously cut timber from Oral district

in Kompong Speu and Thma Bang, Sre Ambil and Botom Sakor districts in Koh Kong.

Both PM's approved the request but specified that no new trees were to be cut and

that revenue was to be directed to RCAF.

But Pal San said new logging was going on.

"All of this is a lie," he said angrily. "They cheat the prime ministers...

they are cutting new trees," he said adding that about one hundred chain-saws

had been sent to Koh Kong Krao island south of the provincial capital.

Ke Kim Yan denied the allegation saying he had never ordered his soldiers to cut

down the trees.

But Koh Kong Governor Rong Plam Kesoan said he thought the activity was legal and

associated with a concession granted to a Malaysian company headquartered in Sihanoukville.

Meanwhile, Koh Kong police chief Yem Phoeung said sawn timber was being exported

to Thailand with the help of the Cambodian navy.

"The navy do not catch log smugglers, they take money and let them go,"

he said.

Government policy says, provincial police have jurisdiction over the sea to a point

five miles off the coast, but Phoeung said the navy had taken control of the zone.

"Our police want to crack down on this illegal business, but the navy do not

allow us," he said.

Admiral Khieng Savorn, the navy's maritime anti-crime commander over the seas, denied

the charge, saying there was no evidence to support the accusations.

Phoeung added that smugglers were concealing timber below the water line of small

boats.

MOST VIEWED

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Baby saved as mother is lost to Covid

    Newborn baby Neth David has had a rough start in the world. His mother, Vong Daneth, was seven months pregnant when she contracted a severe case of Covid-19. When it became clear to her doctors that she would not survive, they performed a cesarean section

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.