Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials, businesses resolve Otres spat

Officials, businesses resolve Otres spat

Officials, businesses resolve Otres spat

ALL vendors and business owners who have been ordered to relocate from Sihanoukville’s Otres beach have accepted payments offered by Preah Sihanouk provincial officials.
Sok Phorn, deputy provincial cabinet chief, noted that many of those who stand to be evicted accepted the payments – US$4,000 for business owners and $1,500 from landless vendors – at a meeting on Wednesday, and said the few holdouts had since acquiesced.
Vendors and business owners on a 1.5-kilometre stretch of the beach were told late last month that they would need to leave by June 30 to make way for a municipal garden project. They were granted a short reprieve after police and officials negotiated with rights activists the next day.
Sok Phorn said yesterday that the owners would be given until the end of the week to dismantle and remove their property, and that the redevelopment of the beach would begin early next week.
“The Lo Sokun Company will build a beautiful public park on the beach,” he said. “We hope Otres beach will become beautiful and more attractive for tourists.”
Vendor Eng Phanith said the evictees accepted the payments because they had no other choice.
“The amount of compensation is not enough for me to start a new job because it is too small,” she said.
“Even to build a house it is not enough.”
Vendors had originally requested payments of $5,000 for business owners and $2,500 for landless vendors.

MOST VIEWED

  • Draft law on state of emergency pending finalisation

    Prime Minister Hun Sen will lead a top-level meeting on Tuesdays to review the draft law on imposing a state of emergency. Meantime, he has decided to close all casinos in Cambodia effective April 1. In the press conference after the National Assembly met today, Hun

  • State of emergency on table amid pandemic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen, his deputy prime ministers and legal team will meet on Tuesday to review the draft law on declaring a state of emergency, as Covid-19 cases rose to 107 in the Kingdom on Monday. Speaking at a press conference after a parliament meeting

  • Stranded passengers petition UK for help

    Some 10,521 people have signed an online petition calling on British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and relevant officials to fly nearly 200 passengers out of Cambodia. The petition is targeted at 15,000 people. Most of the passengers are British nationals, who are stranded in Cambodia after airlines cancelled

  • Many in limbo as tension heightens

    As the Kingdom restricts travel and prepares for a state of emergency, some foreigners in Cambodia are scrambling for a way home. Foreign embassies in Phnom Penh are making efforts to get their citizens out, but cancelled flights have become common due to the coronavirus

  • Covid-19 Pandemic: Force majeure and legal consequences

    Is the Covid-19 pandemic considered an event of force majeure? The World Health Organisation declared the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak a pandemic on March 11. Following this declaration, the Ministry of Health and other ministries have taken various legal and administrative measures to prevent the rapid

  • State of emergency draft law set for NA

    A draft law aiming to place the Kingdom in a state of emergency amid the Covid-19 pandemic is set for a debate at the National Assembly (NA) after going through the Council of Ministers’ Standing Committee meeting led by Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday.