Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials colluding with timber traders, says NGO director

Officials colluding with timber traders, says NGO director

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Natural Resource and Wildlife Preservation Organisation found 59 logs on Sunday near farmland belonging to officials in Tasal commune, in Kampong Speu province’s Oral district. Photo supplied

Officials colluding with timber traders, says NGO director

A forest activist found 59 logs on Sunday near farmland belonging to officicials in Tasal commune, in Kampong Speu province’s Oral district.

Natural Resource and Wildlife Preservation Organisation director Chea Hean said the logs were hidden in a private property in Choam village, just 100m from the farmland of several senior environmental officials.

He identified the officials as Chhun Cheaheng, former director of the Oral Wildlife Sanctuary, his successor Khorn Sohkun and two other unidentified rangers.

Hean said he suspected the logs were hauled from the central Cardamom mountains – a protected area in Oral district.

He said he had reported the matter to Oral district Military Police after discovering the 59 logs, which had since been seized by Forestry Administration officials.

“If there’s no collusion with the officials, I don’t think they could hide the timber there,” he said.

Asked to comment on the matter, National Military Police spokesman Eng Hy referred reporters to the Forestry Administration.

Oral district Forestry Administration chief Taing Chansema told The Post on Monday that the logs were being detained at the Sangke Satoap Commune Forestry Administration.

He said no arrest was made as the timber was found in the forest.

“The logs were hidden in the forest, not in the village as claimed,” he said.

Sohkun, the Oral Wildlife Sanctuary chief, declined to comment on Monday. The Post could not reach Sohkun’s predecessor or the two environmental rangers for comment.

Hean said he discovered the logs while patrolling a forest in Choam village, which he claimed had been cleared by Sokhon and his predecessor Cheaheng for private ownership.

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Mysterious century-old structure found at bottom of Angkor pond

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a mysterious 1,000-year-old structure of a wooden building at the bottom of a pond after the Angkor Wat temple’s conservation team completed restoring its northern cave. The deputy director at ANA’s Angkor International Research and Documentation

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for

  • Cross-border deal inked to maintain trade amid Covid-19

    Cambodia and Vietnam have agreed to allow cargo trailers to enter the common Bavet-Moc Bai border, located in Cambodia’ Svay Rieng province (Bavet) and Vietnam’s Tay Ninh province (Moc Bai) after movement restrictions were enforced to prevent a Covid-19 outbreak. The decision was made

  • Cellcard announces Cambodia’s first use of 5G to help Kingdom during Covid-19

    Cellcard on Friday announced Cambodia’s first use of 5G for a telemedicine service at four locations across Phnom Penh to help the Kingdom’s most critically ill during the Covid-19 outbreak. Cellcard, which is the only 100 per cent Cambodian-owned and "Proudly Khmer" mobile network