Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials deny armed conflict reports



Officials deny armed conflict reports

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Authorities seized a number of illegal weapons from villagers accused of taking up arms against each other including improvised firearms, swords, machetes, slingshots and axes. Photo supplied

Officials deny armed conflict reports

Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities said that they are questioning 15 people after media reports alleged locals had armed themselves with improvised firearms, swords, machetes and slingshots, before turning against each other in a bid to seize state land at Bit Traing commune’s Koki village in Prey Nop district.

Preah Sihanouk provincial police chief Chuon Narin told The Post on Wednesday that authorities began investigating Wednesday’s alleged incident a day after it was said to have occurred.

Narin said: “The provincial governor heard that there was a shooting and he ordered officials to investigate. [Provincial police] also went to the scene and there had been no shooting.

“We found some people with samurai swords, axes, machetes, slingshots and homemade rifles. As a result, 15 people are being questioned.”

Narin said that the investigation concluded that there was no evidence of a violent confrontation having occured and blamed erroneous media reports alleging villagers had turned against each other to grab each other’s land.

He could not confirm whether the 15 people being questioned lived on the state land, only saying that authorities were duty-bound to question those accused of threatening security.

Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesman Kheang Phearum told The Post that while more than 10 people were being detained questioned over the incident, he had yet to receive a detailed report as of Thursday evening.

He confirmed that the site of the alleged incident was state land governed by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese