Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials to get tough on overloaded trucks despite intervention

Officials to get tough on overloaded trucks despite intervention

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Public works ministry officers check overloaded trucks in Takeo province last year. PUBLIC WORKS MINISTRY

Officials to get tough on overloaded trucks despite intervention

Officials at the Ministry of Public Works and Transport say that intervention from powerful individuals is still occurring in some instances when they enforce the laws on overloaded vehicles. More than 100 such vehicles were detained recently.

Ministry undersecretary of state Ek Rath told reporters on February 26 that since the government approved the release of more than 200 offending vehicles in September, its working groups have continued to seize overloaded vehicles.

He said that since October 2021, a total of 136 overloaded vehicles were stopped at mobile and stationary weigh stations across the Kingdom. The vehicles were seized for one year.

Rath claimed that officials nationwide faced problems from non-cooperative drivers and from wealthy individuals who tried to intercede in their work. This complicated the work of the ministry’s teams, he said.

“Our working groups face certain challenges. Sometimes when we stopped overloaded vehicles, the drivers did not cooperate. Sometimes they ran away from the truck, or tried to flee. And then sometimes we faced intervention by powerful people who attempt to force the release of their vehicles through various means, including threats to our officials,” he said.

Rath said these issues did not compromise their efforts to enforce the law. In the past, overloading offences were far more common, he said.

“I do not want to reveal any names, as they are powerful individuals ... We just know that when we impound some vehicles, there is always an intervention. The interventions were rarely successful, but it did make our work difficult,” he said.

On September 30 last year, Prime Minister Hun Sen ordered the release of 249 vehicles that were slated to be impounded for one year after being found to be overloaded by more than 20 per cent if the legal limits.

The decision was made at the request of the drivers and the understanding of the government during the Covid-19 crisis.

Public works minister Sun Chanthol noted at the time that this did not mean overloaded vehicles would continue to be tolerated and he instructed officials at all levels to step up their efforts.

The strict measures were introduced because these vehicles were responsible for most of the damage to the Kingdom’s transport infrastructure, he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro