Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials probe kidnappings



Officials probe kidnappings

Relatives of the child who was kidnapped and returned outside a Phnom Penh school on Friday speak to authorities. Facebook
Relatives of the child who was kidnapped and returned outside a Phnom Penh school on Friday speak to authorities. Facebook

Officials probe kidnappings

As authorities investigate a mysterious kidnapping of a girl from her Phnom Penh school last week, a Kampong Cham community is reeling after the second attempted school abduction in Koh Sotin district in the past fortnight.

The bizarre abduction and return of an 8-year-old girl on Friday has anti-trafficking police combing CCTV footage to try to identify the man driving the girl away on a moto.

The girl was “shaken” after the incident, in which she was told her mother had been involved in a motorbike accident, said James McCabe of the Child Protection Unit, which is assisting the investigation.

“The victim said her hands were tied and she was gagged, but it doesn’t seem she was assaulted in any way,” he said.

She was released several hours later and given a small amount of money to take a tuk-tuk back to school. “It’s just very, very strange. If it was a case of mistaken identity, why was she gagged?” McCabe said.

The Child Protection Unit posted the following video to Facebook, apparently showing the abduction:

Meanwhile, yesterday a group of five men attempted to kidnap a 6-year-old girl from school in Psar Thmey village in Kampong Cham’s Koh Sotin district, according to the girl’s mother Hong Chhengly. As in the Phnom Penh case, the men, who wore surgical masks and sunglasses, tried to convince the girl her mother had been harmed.

The girl objected and tried to run away, attracting the attention of other students. They yelled at the would-be kidnappers who fled the scene.

The Chiher Primary School campus, where abductions took place yesterday in Kampong Cham province. Photo supplied
The Chiher Primary School campus, where abductions took place yesterday in Kampong Cham province. Photo supplied

That case followed a kidnapping attempt last week in Mohaleap commune, where a truck carrying five people wearing balaclavas attempted to snatch a 7-year-old girl off the road as she bicycled alongside her older sister, according to Chong Prek Deputy Village Chief Sim Khim.

“It’s a timely warning for all parents to advise your kids that you don’t go with someone you don’t know,” McCabe said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could