Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials probed for ‘land clearing’



Officials probed for ‘land clearing’

Officials from the Ministry of Environment and the Kampong Speu Environment Department inspect land that was allegedly illegally sold inside the Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary last month. Photo supplied
Officials from the Ministry of Environment and the Kampong Speu Environment Department inspect land that was allegedly illegally sold inside the Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary last month. Photo supplied

Officials probed for ‘land clearing’

Six officials in Kampong Speu’s Oral district have been questioned by the provincial Environment Department over a case of “clearing, logging, burning and bulldozing forest land for private ownership” inside the Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary, officials said yesterday.

Those summoned for questioning included Oral district deputy police chiefs Prak Moul and Morm An, Tasal Commune Chief Dul Sokhum, Doung Village Chief Orn Kong, Trapang Thmea Village Chief Y Doem and Kammpes Village Chief Sorn Vong, according to a letter signed by Chheun Sothun, director of the Environment Department, dated on January 30, and obtained by The Post yesterday.

Sokhum confirmed that he and the other district officials had appeared for the interrogation, but denied that he was personally involved in the alleged clearing.

“The allegations on me are not right,” he said. “I did not clear or log [the land]. For the land preparation, I also don’t know.”

Sokhum said he had seen a map of the 2,000 hectares in question inside the sanctuary in Tasal commune, but denied the forest land had been illegally sold to private owners.

Contact information for the other five officials was not available yesterday. Kampong Speu Provincial Governor Vei Samnang said he had been called by a villager who tipped him off to the alleged crime, and had ordered environmental officials and other relevant authorities to inspect the area.

The inspection found that 2,000 hectares in the forest had been sold and that clearing had already begun, he added. However, when officials arrived for the inspection, the suspects had already fled, leaving behind materials for building huts.

“We wanted to seize a tractor and an excavator, but they knew [about the inspection] in advance, so they escaped into the forest,” he said.

Environmental officials will continue to look into the map of the sold land – whose origins are still unknown – in order to determine the exact number of hectares sold so authorities can retake control of them, Samnang said.

Sothun, director of the Environment Department, confirmed having questioned the six officials and inspected the disputed area, but said only half of one hectare had already been cleared.

Buth Bunthoeun, Oral district police chief, also confirmed his two deputies had been questioned.

“At [our] weekly or monthly meetings, I always advise and warn my officials from [being] involved [in] any crimes, but sometimes they do not follow my advice,” he said.

Chea Hean, director of the Natural Resources and Wildlife Preservation Organization in Kampong Speu, claimed a military official had colluded with the deputy police chiefs to gather 200 families to occupy the land between 2014 and 2015, paying them $250 to $300 each.

Local authorities then allegedly issued documents of ownership to the families, who in turn sold it to brokers, who then sold it on to other traders.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants