Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials seek to close Siem Reap orphanage after rape

Officials seek to close Siem Reap orphanage after rape

Nguyen Rotha sits on a stool at a Siem Reap orphanage during a police investigation earlier this month after he was arrested for allegedly raping a child at the orphanage. CPU
Nguyen Rotha sits on a stool at a Siem Reap orphanage during a police investigation earlier this month after he was arrested for allegedly raping a child at the orphanage. CPU

Officials seek to close Siem Reap orphanage after rape

A Siem Reap orphanage is facing closure after police investigating a rape uncovered evidence of neglect and a missing child.

A 6-year-old resident of New Dream Children Centre in Prasat Bakong district’s Kandek commune was taken for treatment at Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospital on August 5 after staff at the orphanage noticed she was bleeding from her genitals. A doctor at the hospital then informed the authorities, district police chief Min Chantha said yesterday.

It emerged the victim had been violently molested with a piece of wood and a joint investigative task force was established consisting of the provincial police, Interior Ministry, the Siem Reap department of social affairs, the provincial prosecutor’s office and anti-human trafficking police, as well as the deputy governor’s office and Phnom Penh-based NGO the Child Protection Unit (CPU).

A media release from the CPU, which examined the scene and victim with anti-human trafficking officials, said suspect Nguyen Rotha, 18, made a full confession on August 11 and led investigators back to the scene of the crime for a reenactment.

During the course of its investigation, the task force became aware that Bun Vit, a 9-year-old boy, had gone missing from the orphanage five weeks earlier, said provincial anti-human trafficking chief Doung Thavery.

The CPU said an application to close the facility had been made. A deputy provincial police chief speaking anonymously confirmed the application.

“They did not care for the children. We saw wounds on the children’s legs and the food was unhygienic,” they said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Reports: Rainsy barred from Jakarta flight

    Sam Rainsy was on Wednesday refused entry to a flight from Malaysia to Indonesia, media reported late on Wednesday. The “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party’s announced return to the Kingdom on Independence Day on Saturday failed to occur. Rainsy

  • Government studying EU’s preliminary report on EBA

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation on Wednesday said the government was studying the EU Commission’s preliminary report on the human rights situation in the Kingdom that could lead to a suspension of access to its “Everything But Arms” (EBA) agreement. The

  • Phnom Penh International Airport wins award as passenger traffic soars

    The Phnom Penh International Airport has been awarded Best Asia Pacific Regional Airport 2019 for its sustained high growth in passenger traffic in recent years. The award was presented by the Capa Centre for Aviation (Capa) – a world-leading and trusted organisation that provides market intelligence to

  • Gov’t: Rainsy’s ‘coup plot’ a failure

    The government on Wednesday commended the Kingdom’s security forces for thwarting the attempted “coup plot” by former opposition leader Sam Rainsy through his announced return to Cambodia on November 9. The comments came as Rainsy, the “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue

  • Tour guides question animal release ban in Angkor moat

    The Khmer Angkor Tour Guide Association (Katga) called on the Apsara National Authority to reconsider its decision banning all animals from being released into the moat surrounding the Angkor Wat temple after the authority prohibited the action for the sake of visitors’ safety. An Apsara

  • Chinese tourists lead international visitors

    Chinese tourists again topped the list of foreign visitors to Cambodia during the first nine months of this year, with the Ministry of Tourism on Wednesday reporting a 30 per cent increase on the same period last year. The Kingdom received 4.81 million international tourists in that