Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Official’s son busted over club shooting

Official’s son busted over club shooting

Duch Sovannary, 31, was charged on Saturday at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court over a November shooting at Rock Entertainment Centre. Photo supplied
Duch Sovannary, 31, was charged on Saturday at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court over a November shooting at Rock Entertainment Centre. Photo supplied

Official’s son busted over club shooting

The son of a secretary of state at the Ministry of National Assembly-Senate Relations and Inspection was charged on Saturday at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in relation to a November shooting at a Phnom Penh nightclub owned by tycoon Kith Meng.

Duch Sovannaret, son of secretary of state Duch Sovannary, fled to Oddar Meanchey after the shooting, and was arrested on Thursday, according to a report on his charges from Judge Ros Piseth. Piseth couldn’t be reached for comment yesterday.

Sovannaret, 31, who also goes by the alias of Van Darith and Nhanh, was transferred to Phnom Penh and is now in pre-trial detention. He is charged with intentional violence with aggravating circumstances.

On November 29, Sovannaret allegedly shot DJ Bie Sam Eoun, 30, at the Rock Entertainment Centre twice, hitting him in the ankle and buttock. The suspect and his two accomplices
fled immediately afterwards, according to a Chamkarmon district police official who requested anonymity.

Two of his alleged accomplices, Keo Phirum, 33, and Lor Pichsela, 35, fled to Kampong Thom, where they were both arrested on December 1, according to local media.

Sovannaret completed a one-year sentence for “armed robbery” last year, according to the report on his charges. He could now face two to five years in prison.

Yin San, Chamkarmon district police chief, declined to comment on what prompted the November shooting.

In 2015, the son of a high-ranking customs official was arrested after a shooting at the same nightclub.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archaeologists find ancient remnant

    A team from the Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a gatekeeper statue’s foot fragment at the Tonle Snguot Temple, within a metre of the toe of a statue found in 2017. ANA spokesman Long Kosal told The Post on Wednesday that the fragment was

  • Hun Sen to the rescue

    Cambodia has won praise for allowing passengers of the MS Westerdam cruise ship to dock at Preah Sihanouk port, thanks to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s humanitarian act. In a message via Twitter on Wednesday, the director-general of the World Health Organisation Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesu

  • EU partially withdraws EBA

    The EU Commission on Wednesday announced the partial withdrawal of the Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme, citing a serious and systematic violation by Cambodia of principles in the four core human and labour rights. The suspension affects one-fifth or €1 billion ($1.08 billion) of Cambodia’s annual

  • Japan calls for policy changes

    Representatives of Japanese companies and investors on Wednesday submitted a list of policy recommendations to the government concerning 21 challenges to the Kingdom’s business climate. Japanese Ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami and leaders of the Japanese Business Association in Cambodia (JBAC), Japan International Cooperation Agency

  • Trump tweets praise for Kingdom docking ship

    Cambodia continues to earn praise for its humanitarian act of allowing the MS Westerdam cruise ship with more than 2,200 passengers and crew on board to dock at the Preah Sihanouk port. The praise this time comes from none other than US President Donald Trump. “Thank

  • Hate worse than virus, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday criticised countries that have cancelled flights with China following the outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), arguing that such moves amounted to discrimination against the Chinese. In a speech delivered during the groundbreaking ceremony for work on national roads 2