More than one week on, authorities still have “no clue” as to the perpetrators of a grenade attack that rattled Phnom Penh’s Boeung Keng Kang III commune last Tuesday night.
Eng Sorphea, municipal penal police chief, said despite police efforts, there had been no new leads in the case.
“Right now, we are working hard to solve that case, but as yet we do know the identity of the suspect,” he said. “We have no clue.”
In widely circulated CCTV footage, a grenade is seen appearing in the wake of a passing motorbike on Street 163, before the blast jars a white Lexus SUV travelling down the street behind the bike.
Interior Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak said the toll of people injured in the explosion still stands at four. He added that authorities were analysing new angles and gathering other CCTV footage sources, as the video clip did not clearly show the number plate of the suspicious moto.
He believed there was more than one person responsible. “There was more than one perpetrator, at least. They must have had contact with each other in that time. The moto driver could not do that alone.”
Sopheak ruled out terrorism but also stressed it was not a targeted attack against the owner of the SUV. “Terror is far away from our condition . . . The car driver is not related to this incident.”
Contact PhnomPenh Post for full articlePost Media Co Ltd
The Elements Condominium, Level 7
Hun Sen Boulevard
Phum Tuol Roka III
Sangkat Chak Angre Krom, Khan Meanchey
12353 Phnom Penh
Tel: +855(0) 23 888 161 / 162
Fax: +855(0) 23 214 318