Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials sure Howes is still alive

Officials sure Howes is still alive

Officials sure Howes is still alive

NEGOTIATIONS to try to free British deminer Christopher Howes and his Khmer interpreter

Houn Hoerth, kidnapped March 26, could be made from Thailand, according to sources

in Siem Reap.

The pair are believed to be held hostage in the Khmer Rouge stronghold of Anlong

Veng near the Thai border. Last week a delegation of seven Thai military officials

from bordering Surin province spent two days in Siem Reap.

"The main point of the Thai officials' visit is tourism but we will also talk

with them on this [kidnapping] issue," said Khan Savoeun, fourth military region

commander in Siem Reap. "We are trying our best to find the deminer. We have

not had any result in our investigations from our side and we will talk to the Thais."

Nhek Bun Chhay, the Royal army deputy chief of staff who accompanied the delegation,

said: "The delegation just comes to solve some security problems along the border."

In Phnom Penh, First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh said May 23 that he

had "some news from Thailand" about Howes but he could not reveal it. He

nodded his head when asked if he thought the hostages were still alive.

Officials in Siem Reap said they are convinced that the two men are still alive.

"According to the news I received from civilians, they are detained in a house,"

said provincial governor Toan Chay.

Hem Bung Heng, the second deputy governor, said the hostages were well guarded. They

were being fed, but Howes had been reported as having malaria.

Khan Savoeun said the kidnappers' aim had been to get money but as the hostage situation

grew longer, "it is more and more difficult to find a solution."

He said that the KR defectors believed to have seized the two men initially asked

for a 10,000 baht (about $400) ransom. The authorities had been prepared to pay,

but the kidnappers moved to Anlong Veng before the hand-over could be arranged.

"Now I cannot say what the Khmer Rouge want," said the general.

"Now the two men are in Anlong Veng and it is more difficult to communicate...

Our contact is cut and the only way we can get in touch with them is from the Thai

side."

Savoeun, a Funcinpec officer, indicated the recent political tension in Cambodia

had contributed to the loss of contact with the kidnappers. In a reference to CPP,

he said that he had voluntarily stopped trying to contact the KR so that "the

other party" was not suspicious that Funcinpec was cooperating with the rebel

group for other reasons. Hem Bung Heng, however, said authorities were still trying

to find a way to contact the Anlong Veng KR commander Ta Mok.

Officials said eight Cambodian policeman and soldiers have been killed, by mines

or ambushes, in the search for Howes and Hoerth.

MOST VIEWED

  • Proof giants walked among us humans?

    For years a debate has waged about whether certain bas relief carvings at the 12th-century To Prohm Temple, one of the most popular attractions at the Angkor Wat Temple Complex in Siem Reap province, depicted dinosaurs or some rather less exotic and more contemporary animal,

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Japan bank buys major stake in ANZ Royal Bank

    Japan's largest bank acquired more than half of ANZ’s shares in Cambodia on Thursday, according to a statement from Kith Meng’s Royal Group. Japan's JTrust Bank, announced that they had acquired a 55% of stake in ANZ Royal Bank. According to a Royal Group