Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Oknha attacker case heard




Oknha attacker case heard

Duong Kimlong (centre) enters the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in 2013 to attend a hearing on charges of causing injury, possessing illegal weapons and destroying private property.
Duong Kimlong (centre) enters the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in 2013 to attend a hearing on charges of causing injury, possessing illegal weapons and destroying private property. Hong Menea

Oknha attacker case heard

The son of wealthy property developer Duong Ngiep allegedly slapped, punched and threatened to kill the son of logging tycoon Try Pheap after being stared at and teased about a previous conviction for violence, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court heard yesterday.

Duong Otdom Chhorvin, also known as Duong Chhay, 27, was yesterday tried in absentia over the April 13 attack on 21-year-old Oknha Try Daluch, at a tattoo parlour in Phnom Penh’s Chamkarmon district.

Presiding judge Svay Tonh said Chhay had been sued by Daluch and charged by the Municipal Court prosecutor with an “aggravating violent act” for the “serious” assault, which followed a verbal altercation between the pair.

“[Otdom Chhorvin] got angry with the victim for looking at his face and teasing him that he was [previously] arrested and jailed,” Tonh said.

“He then slapped the victim’s face, beat him and threatened to kill him,” he said.

Chhay – whose father, like his alleged victim, is also an oknha – was convicted in 2013 of causing injuries, illegal weapons use and property damage for taking part in a brawl at a Phnom Penh restaurant.

For that incident – which saw the victim suffer serious head injuries after being pistol whipped – Chhay served six months of a three-and-a-half-year sentence.

He was released early on the proviso that he abstain from drinking alcohol and carrying a deadly a weapon in public.

Yesterday, Otdom Chhorvin did not attend the hearing and remained at Prey Sar prison.

His defence lawyer, Nach Try, appealed for a suspended sentence, arguing his client had confessed and was remorseful.

“My client has recognised and accepted that he did wrong in this case and he is now taking corrective action and making himself into a good person,” Try said.

“Therefore, I would like to ask the judge to reduce his sentence to the lowest possible sentence; I ask the judge to punish him with a suspended sentence,” Try said.

A verdict is expected to be handed down on the afternoon of August 11.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15