Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Only half of surrogate paperwork approved




Only half of surrogate paperwork approved

A surrogate mother pictured in a poor Cambodian neighbourhood in 2016. Just six applications have been approved by the court to allow foreign parents to leave the country with their babies.
A surrogate mother pictured in a poor Cambodian neighbourhood in 2016. Just six applications have been approved by the court to allow foreign parents to leave the country with their babies. Eliah Lillis

Only half of surrogate paperwork approved

Just half of an estimated dozen applications by parents trying to prove their DNA link to their baby born via a Cambodian surrogate have so far been approved by the Phnom Penh Municipal court, officials said yesterday.

Following an outright ban on the fraught practice of commercial surrogacy in Cambodia, where hundreds of babies are estimated to have been born to foreign couples, the Kingdom laid out guidelines in July last year, requiring intended parents to get DNA tests, have their paternity status verified by the courts and apply for exit visas through their embassies in order to legally take their babies home.

Sous Vichyea Randy, the court’s deputy administration chief, said six cases had been approved since late December, and another two decisions were pending.

Earlier this month, Chou Bun Eng, permanent vice chair of the National Committee for Counter Trafficking, said 12 cases had been lodged by intended parents.

But yesterday, she said she had approved just one exit visa, for an American couple.

“I want to emphasise that embassies are not cooperative with us. I have never received any requests from the embassies . . . The one case is from an individual who sent it directly to us,” she said.

The government’s guidelines also say that intended parents, brokers or surrogates connected to a child born after January 8 will face legal consequences.

“Currently we have not arrested any surrogate women who were after the deadline, and we keep looking for new cases,” Bun Eng added.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.