Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Opposition MP could still face court over petition: official

Opposition MP could still face court over petition: official

Yem Ponhearith (left) talks to an official from the royal palace late last month during the delivery of a CNRP petition.
Yem Ponhearith (left) talks to an official from the royal palace late last month during the delivery of a CNRP petition. Hong Menea

Opposition MP could still face court over petition: official

Ministry of Interior spokesman Khieu Sopheak has again threatened to take legal action against the CNRP for irregularities found in a petition sent to King Norodom Sihamoni.

Sopheak, who declined to speak to the Post yesterday, told local media that the commission investigating allegedly forged thumbprints on the petition would submit a report to the government, and again suggested measures be taken against opposition lawmaker Yem Ponhearith.

“A lawmaker of the CNRP, Mr Yem Ponhearith, took fake thumbprints to deliver to the King,” he said. “I think the commission will ask the royal government to take legal action.”

The CNRP submitted the petition in late May asking the King to intervene in the escalating political situation, with an investigation ordered into the veracity of the more than 170,000 thumbprints soon after.

Sopheak said that in one instance, a single thumbprint had been discovered against 86 names on the petition. On Tuesday, Prime Minister Hun Sen said the alleged fakes were an insult to the King, and warned foreign diplomats to not question his use of the judiciary in this case.

Reacting to the possibility of legal action, CNRP lawmaker Eng Chhay Eang rejected Sopheak’s assertion, adding that the government has never checked the authenticity of the many petitions it had received in the past.

“When there are petitions, the authorities should not examine the thumbprints, but they must focus on the content of the petition.”

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four