Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Order called for national exams

Order called for national exams

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Students are frisked by officials before entering the Grade 12 national exams at Preah Sisowath High School on August 21, 2018. Post PIX

Order called for national exams

The Ministry of Interior has called on the governors of Phnom Penh and the provinces to collaborate with the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport and specialised institutions to ensure security, safety and order during this year’s Grade 12 national examinations on August 19-20.

The directive came in a letter which was signed by Ministry of Interior secretary of state Sak Setha was obtained by The Post on Saturday.

The letter requested the governors to organise security forces to safeguard the security and safety of candidates and their parents, maintain order at examination centres and ensure that examination paper boxes and candidates’ assignments are not compromised during transport.

The ministry also urged the governors to prevent irregularities during exams such as the use of electronic devices and the copying of documents.

Speaking to The Post on Sunday, Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport spokesman Ros Soveacha said his ministry was ready for the examinations and welcomed the collaboration of all stakeholders as in previous years.

“This collaboration reveals the spirit of solidarity for the common cause of supporting the nation’s human resources,” he said.

Last Wednesday, Minister of Interior Sar Kheng presided over a ceremony to launch a report assessing applications made by foreign nationals for permanent residence cards, as well as evaluating its campaign to revoke false and irregular documents from migrants.

Sar Kheng, who is also deputy prime minister, urged the General Commissariat of the National Police, municipal and provincial administrations, and police headquarters in Phnom Penh and the provinces to fulfil their duty to maintain security and order during the Grade 12 examinations.

“We are doing what we can to ensure the quality, safety and integrity of the examinations. I will issue further written guidance at the request of the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport,” he said.

The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport announced that, despite not having observers from the Anti-Corruption Unit (ACU), it would collaborate with the ACU if any corruption was reported.

Some 119,217 candidates, including 61,031 girls and five students with disabilities, will be sitting this year’s Grade 12 national examinations. That total figure is an increase of 5,852 students compared to last year, Sar Kheng said.

The students will be tested at 202 examination centres – six more than last year.

Youth Council of Cambodia executive director Im Sothy backed the move to strengthen the oversight of the examinations and the Ministry of Interior’s efforts to prepare provincial and district level authorities to supervise their smooth running.

“What worries me, though, is that the measures will be ordered but not implemented effectively. If the government and the Ministry of Interior only issue letters, it’s not good. But if we all strive to carry out this work and do what is required, I think it will improve the education system,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges