Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - O’Touk area development ‘a concern’

O’Touk area development ‘a concern’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A site in Stung Hav district’s O’Touk area in Preah Sihanouk province is reclaimed to build a boat terminal. Photosupplied

O’Touk area development ‘a concern’

Civil society organisations monitoring land disputes in Preah Sihanouk province continue to voice concerns over the environmental impact of developing public land after permission was granted to reclaim a site in the O’Touk area to build a boat terminal.

Sok Sokhom, the director of the Cambodian National Research Organisation, which closely monitors the situation in the coastal region, said he supported development in the province, but he asked the provincial administration to not allow development that impacted state property. Development should only take place in areas developers own, he said.

Sokhom said a meeting between the provincial governor and 13 civil society organisations on Friday covered several ongoing issues in the province.

He said he raised the problem of private individuals continuing to reclaim public beaches for development.

“Regarding the O’Touk case, the provincial governor said he had not given permission to reclaim the land. However, it was the district governor who gave permission to fill the beach."

“The provincial governor said the land reclamation was under the authority of national officials, not sub-national ones. However, it was the Stung Hav district governor’s mistake to allow a private company to fill the beach. He gave his approval to the letter of request,” Sokhom said.

On Friday, provincial governor Yun Min responded to the development of the O’Touk area.

“Regarding the filling of the sea to construct a boat terminal in Stung Hav district, the provincial authority has asked the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction to allow the National Committee for Coastal Management and Development to conduct an impact assessment study,” he said.

Min said any project 3,000sqm or larger comes under the remit of national authorities, while projects between 500sqm and 3,000sqm are the responsibility of the provincial authority. Smaller projects fall to the district or city authority, he said.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

However, Min said he had previously expressed his support for the O’Touk development because it is an important location for fishing boats.

According to Sokhom, the initial request to the district authority was only to repair the boats there, but they continued to fill the sea and, despite not having permission from authorities, there had been no attempts to stop them.

Provincial authority spokesman Y Thearin declined to comment, saying he had not been fully briefed on the matter.

Stung Hav district governor Chhay Sokunda told The Post on Monday that the provincial authority had inspected the O’Touk site and referred the case to the National Committee for Coastal Management and Development to make a decision.

“The case was sent to National Committee for Coastal Management and Development. The only issue was that part of the site was not private land, so the provincial authority asked the owner to rent the land from the government.

“Any area which is privately owned, they can develop. Anywhere outside the private area needs to be rented from the government,” Sokunda said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials