Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Over 100 explosives cleared out in Kandal

Over 100 explosives cleared out in Kandal

Members of CMAC excavate unexploded cluster munitions on Saturday after they were discovered in Kandal province. National Police
Members of CMAC excavate unexploded cluster munitions on Saturday after they were discovered in Kandal province. National Police

Over 100 explosives cleared out in Kandal

Government deminers on Saturday successfully cleared more than 100 US-made cluster bomblets from a rice field in Kandal province’s Muk Kampoul district, according to the Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC).

CMAC director Heng Ratana said yesterday that 132 of the CBU-25 anti-personnel munitions – which he said were approved by the US for use in 1973, and were still in working condition – were found and removed.

The discovery was made outside of an area that CMAC had focused on clearing after having received information from the US Department of Defense that it may contain unexploded ordnance.

“The quality of cluster bombs that we just found on Saturday was 100 per cent good, and they were found 1,700 metres from our pilot project,” Ratana said.

According to Ratana, the cluster munitions are more explosive than typical mines, and are equipped with an especially sensitive triggering system.

Deminers cleared a similar amount of cluster munitions just last month in the same district, he added.

The munitions cleared on Saturday were taken to the CMAC training centre in Kampong Chhnang province, where the explosives inside will be rendered inert so the bomblets can be used as a training aid for new CMAC recruits, Ratana said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The

  • Kingdom set to be a gold producer

    Cambodia will soon join the roster of gold producing countries after the government announced the commencement of commercial gold mining operations in the Okvau area in southwestern Mondulkiri province's Keo Seima district from June 21. Prime Minister Hun Sen on June 10 announced that after 14 years of