Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Over 1,500 foreigners deported last year




Over 1,500 foreigners deported last year

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Police oversee the deportation of foreign criminals. Heng Chivoan

Over 1,500 foreigners deported last year

The authorities deported 1,533 foreign nationals from 63 countries last year over various offences, according to a report presented during the General Department of Immigration Congress on Thursday.

The report, tabled during the congress to review last year’s work and set plans for 2020, showed that the 1,013 Chinese nationals who were deported, topped the list of foreigners who committed crimes and were sent home.

They were followed by Thais (220), Vietnamese (149), Nigerians (94), Indians (31), South Koreans (25) and Americans (17).

The crimes foreigners committed included extortion, online gambling, passport breaches, visa breaches and drug crimes.

“Cambodia is no different from other countries in the region and other developed countries. The presence of illegal aliens always emerges.

“Cases including entry into the Kingdom without legal paperwork, staying without passports, exceeding visa limits and escaping legal punishment in other countries,” it said.

It noted that 890 people were deported for online gambling, which has been banned in the Kingdom. Others were sent back for not having passports (242), expired visas (126) and drug crimes (200).

Since its establishment in 2014, the department has overseen the deportation of 16,200 foreigners due to the crimes mentioned, it noted.

“Enforcement measures have been taken to improve visa grants and renewals,” it said.

The department also said that to protect Cambodians from being trafficking abroad, last year the Ministry of Interior checked and verified foreign nationals who proposed marriage to 1,928 Cambodians.

The department also noted that 538 criminal offences were committed by 1,802 foreigners last year.

Department director-general Kirth Chantharith said during the congress that local authorities had also refused entry to a US national after they were advised that he posed a threat to the US embassy.

He said the US informed Cambodian authorities that the man could bomb the embassy and so when he landed, they immediately sent him back to the US.

“The actual situation did not arise. It was just the information we received from the US, saying that if the person entered the Kingdom, it could be insecure for the US Embassy.

“He had a bad intention. Therefore, we did not allow the man to enter the Kingdom. When the person arrived, we let him go back. He arrived at our entrance gate, and we refused him entry.”

MOST VIEWED

  • PM slams HRW ‘double standards’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has chided Human Rights Watch (HRW) Asia director Brad Adams for keeping quiet over protest crackdowns in the US following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis on May 25. Addressing reporters while inspecting infrastructure development in Preah Sihanouk province on Monday,

  • Bank robber of $6M asks to be released

    An accused bank robber who admitted to stealing $6 million has asked the Supreme Court to release him temporarily because he had returned the money. In a court hearing on Tuesday Chan Simuntha, 39, told the judge that on January 18, his wife Teang Vathanaknearyroth told him that

  • WHO: Antibiotics cause more deaths

    Increased antibiotics use in combating the Covid-19 pandemic will strengthen bacterial resistance and ultimately lead to more deaths during the crisis and beyond, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said on Monday. WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said a “worrying number” of bacterial infections were becoming

  • Children in poverty said to rise by 86M

    The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and Save the Children warned that if urgent measures are not taken, the number of children living in poverty across low- and middle-income countries could increase by 86 million, a 15 per cent jump, by the end of the year. In

  • Four more Cambodian peacekeepers get Covid-19 in Mali

    Four more Cambodian Blue Helmet peacekeepers in Mali have been diagnosed with the novel coronavirus, bringing the number of infected Cambodian UN peacekeepers to 10. National Centre for Peacekeeping Forces and Explosive Remnants of War deputy director-general and spokeswoman Kosal Malinda told The Post on Tuesday

  • Huge tracks of undocumented land a concern for registration officials

    Siem Reap provincial deputy governor Ly Samrith expressed concern that land registration plans for residents scheduled to be completed by late 2021 could not be achieved because 80 per cent of the land had not been registered. Land dispute issues are a major factor that poses a