Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Over 240 logs seized




Over 240 logs seized

Officials inspect a haul of illegal rosewood in Preah Vihear province’s Choam Ksan district on Wednesday.
Officials inspect a haul of illegal rosewood in Preah Vihear province’s Choam Ksan district on Wednesday. Photo supplied

Over 240 logs seized

The Cambodian military confiscated more than 1,000 kilograms of contraband rosewood from a caravan belonging to 28 Cambodian loggers after they illegally harvested the timber across the Thai border.

A joint force primarily consisting of soldiers, with some police and Forestry Administration officials, stopped the men transporting 245 logs, weighing 1,317 kilograms, in Preah Vihear’s Choam Ksan district.

Chea Kimseng, Choam Ksan district governor, said the loggers were all released after the goods were confiscated.

“Once intercepted, at first they did not want the authorities to take the timber. We did not arrest them. We just confiscated the evidence and prepared documents to send to court,” Kimseng said.

Kimseng said the loggers were very poor and are willing to risk their lives for a profit.

“The people keep committing the forest crime and we do not know how to stop them. If we punish them severely, it seems unfair,” he said.

Local media source Mohachun News reported that the loggers initially refused to hand over the wood, complaining that they had already paid the appropriate bribes. The loggers allegedly each paid a total of $308 to a different group of soldiers before being confronted by a second group. One of the men claimed the second group stole some of the wood.

“I agreed to hand it to the authorities and I helped load it on trucks. Importantly, I want the stolen timber back. Where has [it] gone?” one of the men asks in a video clip posted to the Mohachun News website.

Ping Trida, director of the Preah Vihear’s Provincial Department of Agriculture, would not comment beyond denying the accusation.

MOST VIEWED

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as