Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Oz demining recognised

Oz demining recognised

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Australian Ambassador to Cambodia Angela Corcoran was awarded the Golden Cross of the Royal Order of Sahametrei medal by Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday. HUN SEN’S FACEBOOK PAGE

Oz demining recognised

The Australian Embassy has accepted an award from the Cambodian government in recognition of that country’s long-standing support for demining in the Kingdom.

Australian Ambassador to Cambodia Angela Corcoran received the Golden Cross of the Royal Order of Sahametrei medal from Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday, the embassy said in a press release.

Corcoran said: “I am pleased that the Cambodian Government recognises the important role Australia has played in supporting landmine clearing in Cambodia for the past 25 years.

“When we first commenced our demining work in Cambodia, more than 4,000 people were being killed each year in landmine accidents. Australia’s assistance has helped bring that number down to 58 casualties last year.”

“The Australian Government’s support for demining in Cambodia commenced in 1994 and had involved financial contributions totalling more than A$100 million ($68.45 million),” said an official press release.

Since 2006, Australia has been partnering with the UN Development Programme (UNDP) and the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA) to clear mine-contaminated land and raise community awareness about the risks of landmines.

Through this partnership, over 239sq km had been cleared and released to local communities for farming.

Senior Minister Ly Thuch, first vice-president of the CMAA told The Post on Monday that, besides helping mine clearance and victims, Australia supported strengthening the capacity of mine officials and formulating Cambodia’s national strategic plan for demining.

“Australia is a long-standing partner of Cambodia and has supported work in the mine clearing sector for years.

“We are thankful for Australian compassion and sympathy for Cambodians who suffered from the war. [On Monday] morning, Samdech [Prime Minister Hun Sen] also gave thanks to Australia, which supports Cambodia in the mine-clearing sector,” said Thuch.

Speaking at the Mine-Free World Fourth Review Conference on November 26, in Oslo, Norway, Ly Thuch said that after a quarter of a century of implementing humanitarian mine action, Cambodia is still facing extensive problems.

“However, we are committed to rendering Cambodia mine-free by 2025. Going forward, it is essential that we continue to work together to reach this noble objective, not only for our own countries but a mine-free world,” he said.

A statement from Cambodia on victim assistance at the World Fourth Review Conference on Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention said the 58 casualties recorded last year were still too many.

It said the Kingdom remained committed to reducing this number to zero, with the support of the international community.

There is a real danger that casualties will increase as a result of the growing population and also people moving, through necessity, into new areas and being unaware of the risks.

“Also, our database shows that 806 sq km is the current magnitude of the landmine problem, posing a greater danger to our people.

“Therefore, continued support and assistance from all development partners remain vital for Cambodia to address these challenges,” the statement said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia rejects UN rights claim

    Cambodia's Permanent Mission to the UN Office in Geneva on Friday hit back at David Kaye, the UN special rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression after he raised concerns over the repression of free speech and

  • Ex-party leader, gov’t critic named as secretary of state

    A former political party leader known for being critical of the government has been appointed secretary of state at the Ministry of Rural Development, a royal decree dated July 9 said. Sourn Serey Ratha, the former president of the Khmer Power Party (KPP), told The Post

  • Residence cards set for over 80,000 immigrants

    The Ministry of Interior plans to grant residence cards to more than 80,000 immigrants to better keep track of them. The ministry announced the plan on July 10, following the results of an immigration census. “An inter-ministerial committee and many operational working groups have been set up

  • Fifteen Cambodians from Saudi get Covid-19

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed 15 more imported cases of Covid. The 15 men ‒ all Cambodian aged 21 to 33 ‒ arrived from Saudi Arabia on Friday via a connecting flight in Malaysia. They were travelling with 79 other passengers, three of them women. The ministry said 80 of the

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Vietnamese workers in Koh Kong questioned

    The General Department of Immigration (GDI) is questioning 49 Vietnamese nationals who were working illegally in Koh Kong province to build a case and send them back to Vietnam, its Department of Investigation and Procedure director Kem Sarin said on Thursday. GDI forces and provincial authorities

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism