Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Paet leads Phnom Vour attack



Paet leads Phnom Vour attack

Paet leads Phnom Vour attack

P HNOM VOUR - Khmer Rouge General Nuon Paet led a major offensive to try to retake his Phnom Vour (Vine Mountain) stronghold early this month, an army general said on Dec 6.

Brigadier General Prum Savoeurn, commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) regiment 71, told the Post the Khmer Rouge were amassing men and arms for further attempts.

Paet is widely believed to have given the order for three Western hostages, held captive at his former Phnom Vour base for several months, to be murdered by his soldiers. The rebel general fled the mountain in late October after it came under heavy attack by RCAF forces who later captured it.

Gen Savoeurn said Paet was now using Phnom Oral, a mountain about 63km northwest of Phnom Vour on the northern border of Kampot and Kompong Speu provinces, as his base.

Paet was believed to have received military supplies from Khmer Rouge-controlled Pailin through Phnom Kravanh, about 108km from Kampot in Pursat province, where a rebel arsenal was thought to be.

Gen Savoeurn said Paet mobilized rebel troops from Takeo, Kompong Speu and Kampot provinces for the December 3 attack on Phnom Vour.

About 250 guerrillas marching toward Phnom Vour were intercepted by some 480 RCAF troops near Koh Sla village, about 28km northwest of the mountain.

The KR routed the army soldiers, pushing them 7km out of the Koh Sla area, and moved on to capture seven nearby villages.

"I was asked to send reinforcements to Koh Sla but I and my soldiers lost our way and did not reach there on time," Gen Savoeurn said.

The KR held the seven villages for two days before they were pushed back to Koh Sla by army counter-attacks.

"The situation was very serious. It is a big-scale and heavy offensive....the guerrillas are attempting to retake control of the mountain and they would have if (his troops) had been even more late to arrive at the scene."

About 700 government troops - including 100 of Paet's former guerrillas who defected before the fall of Phnom Vour in October - were rallied from Kep, Kampot and Phnom Vour to help fight the rebels.

"Bloody" battles continued for several days, he said. He was unable to provide casualty figures but said "there were corpses on both sides lying on the ground".

He did not believe the KR would be able to take the mountain in any further offensives.

"I am not concerned about that...what worries me is my soldiers being killed."

The atmosphere on Phnom Vour itself, meanwhile, was relaxed but cautious.

By Dec 6, soldiers bunkered down with rifles and mortars in positions near the bottom of the mountain said they were concerned at the prospect of a KR attack.

The government has said it is receiving intelligence on the movements of Paet and wants to arrest him for the murders of the three foreign tourists.

The governments of the three men - Britain Mark Slater, Frenchman Jean-Michel Braquet and Australian David Wilson - have demanded that all responsible for their abduction and murder be caught and punished.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants