Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Pageant receives overseas support

Pageant receives overseas support

Pageant receives overseas support

THE organiser of the banned Miss Landmine beauty pageant says the event has received strong international support, including an email petition campaigning for the event's reinstatement.

The Social Affairs Ministry ordered the event shut down Sunday, saying it would affect the "honour and dignity" of the female mine victims taking part.

Organiser Morten Traavik said Tuesday he had received a flood of emails in support, and that an online campaign had been launched in the US, calling for the ban to be lifted.

"I think it shows that the world is watching," he said. "What this whole debacle shows is ... that the Cambodian government is not ready to elevate its disabled community to the status of the rest of the population."

In a letter to Ith Sam Heng, minister of social affairs, Bali, Indonesia, resident Michael Prentice, who was born with an atrophied leg, called for the ministry to rescind the ban.

"I have looked on YouTube to see images of past pageants, and I do not find them offensive or degrading," he wrote.

"Hopefully you will reconsider your decision and allow these women to show their strength, spirit, talents and beauty to the world. We disabled are able to make decisions regarding our welfare."

Ith Sam Heng could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY SAM RITH

MOST VIEWED

  • Government hits back at threats to pull EBA, suspend UN seat

    The spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) has said the government is in no way concerned after the European Parliament gave it three months to reverse what it called the “systematic repression of the political opposition”. Ignoring the ultimatum could mean facing

  • Chinese influx pushing locals, Westerners out of Preah Sihanouk

    Some within the Kingdom’s tourism industry have speculated that the recent influx of Chinese visitors may hinder domestic tourism as the price of accommodations in the coastal city of Sihanoukville continues to rise. Preah Sihanouk province, which has become a hotbed for Chinese investment

  • Sar Kheng: Sokha requested security

    Interior Minister Sar Kheng on Sunday revealed the story behind the transfer of former opposition party leader Kem Sokha from Trapaing Phlong prison in Tbong Khmum province to his house in the capital. Speaking at the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) headquarters in Prey

  • Chinese living in Kingdom more than doubles since ’17

    The number of Chinese nationals living in Cambodia this year has increased to more than 210,000. The figure rose from last year’s 100,000, the newly appointed Secretary of State Sok Phal confirmed yesterday. He said: “Of the 210,000, more than 78,000 are living in Preah Sihanouk [province], but