Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Pair accused of raping multiple boys and girls

Pair accused of raping multiple boys and girls

Pair accused of raping multiple boys and girls

Group says families initially were intimidated by the two, but finally decided to report the crimes.

TWO men, one Cambodian and the other Vietnamese, have been arrested on suspicion of raping one young girl and attempting to rape another in Russey Keo district, police told the Post Monday.

An official with an anti-human trafficking group added that the pair are thought to be behind numerous sexual assaults against children in the same neighbourhood.

Keo Thea, director of Phnom Penh’s Municipal Anti-human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Bureau, confirmed the arrests but declined to identify the suspects.

“My men arrested a Vietnamese man who is over 20 years old, along with a Cambodian man who is over 40,” Keo Thea said. The victims are two Vietnamese girls, ages 13 and 15, he added.

Samleang Seila, country director of Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE), a child rights group, told the Post on Monday that his organisation had tipped off the anti-human trafficking police after hearing complaints from villagers in Russey Keo district.

“We learned about the [suspected] child sex abuse and urged the victims to be brave enough to complain to the police,” he said.

Samleang Seila added that he believes this is not the first time the two suspects have abused local children.

“[We are] prepared to provide more witnesses to press charges against the men,” he said. “We believe that the men not only abused these two victims, but that there are many other girls and boys out there who are now afraid to speak up against the men.”

Samleang Seila said the men are suspected of numerous abuses, including rape, in the same small fishing village during the past three years.

He said the suspects are believed to have struck when the children’s parents were away fishing on the river.

Up until now, however, the villagers have been afraid to speak out, he said.

“Victims’ parents were not brave enough to dare complain about the men,” he said, adding that the suspects threatened the families with injury or death if they contacted the police. However, the most recent alleged rapes were a turning point.

“Villagers could not tolerate this any longer and decided to bring their cases to my organisation,” Samleang Seila said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong